New Zealand 2020: Bicultural Identity
Explore cultural identity by studying the intersection of Maori and European cultures in Aotearoa (the Maori name for New Zealand!). Our home base will be in Auckland, from where we intend to travel to destinations including Wellington, Rotorua, and Milford Sound. Activities will include visits to Maori villages, museums, and historical sites; hikes and exploration of the vibrant New Zealand coast and national parks; and interactions with local experts, including researchers at the University of Auckland, psychologists working at Maori clinics, and local authors/poets. We will read about identity as conceptualized both by psychological research/theory and literature/poetry. (See our brochure for a full course description.)
Credit: This 4-credit course counts toward SOPHIA (Nonwestern Societies) as well as the Psychology major/minor and English major/minor.
Price: $5,100-5,500 (The final price depends on the number of students in the group, as well as currency fluctuations, and will be set in October. You are guaranteed not to be charged more than this maximum, though.)
Contact Financial Aid to find out whether your aid can be applied to this course, or whether you are eligible to apply for additional aid. Scholarship applications will be available through the International Programs Office in May.
Requirements: There are no pre-requisites for this course; students from any major may apply.
Visas: American citizens will not need a visa. International students: check here to see if your country also participates in the visa waiver program. (If not, the International Programs Office can help facilitate your visa.)
Professors: Dr. Darcie Rives-East (English) and Dr. Olivia Lima (Psychology)
- Apr 8: Priority application deadline (apply via StudioAbroad)
- Apr 12: Students who applied during the priority period will be notified whether accepted into the course. (If there are still seats remaining, rolling applications will continue until the course fills, or Oct. 1 at the latest.) A $500 refundable deposit is required to secure your registration.
- Sept 15: Last day to withdraw for a full refund of your deposit
- Nov: Final payment due after Augustana's fall/interim registration
- Jan 1: Depart for New Zealand!