Rooted and Reaching: Observing 500 Years of Lutheran Education
Rooted in the Tradition of Lutheran Higher Education.
Reaching for New Understandings.
With Christians around the globe, Augustana University embraces the 500th anniversary of Luther’s 95 theses as occasion for claiming and strengthening our vocations in learning, reconciliation, and celebration. As inheritors of reform, we listen to our roots for the gracious call of God to claim the Gospel anew. As servants in higher education we reach out again
- to be called, gathered and enlightened with neighbors near and far,
- to both rediscover and extend freedom in Christ and service of neighbor, and
- to continue the great legacies of learning and research, song and service that characterize Lutheran schools.
Augustana's observance of this important event included a series of events that were free and open to the public.
Past Guest Speakers, Lectures, Readings and Musical Performances
Group reading and discussion of "The Vocation of Lutheran Higher Education"
Monthly discussions were held from February through May (last meeting: Tuesday, May 2)
2017 Dakota Conference exploring "Religion and Spirituality in the Northern Plains"
Held April 21-22
"500 Years of Reformation: So What" with Rev. Dr. Samuel Torvend, chair of Lutheran Studies and director of the Wild Hope Center for Vocation, Pacific Lutheran University
Held Aug. 27-28
- Dr. Torvend's visit to Augustana featured:
- A discussion for area clergy and laity
- Workshops for Augustana faculty and staff
- Luther Table Talk / Beer and Hymns,
- Held on Sunday, Aug. 27, at Fernson on 8th (201 N. Weber Ave., Sioux Falls)
- We began with beer and hymns. Then the Rev. Dr. Samuel Torvend guided stirring table discussions on "A Changing Church in a Changing World."
- HymnFest with Organist Mark Sedio, featuring The Augustana Choir
- Held on Sunday, Oct. 8, in Augustana's Chapel of Reconciliation
- Sedio is cantor of Central Lutheran Church in Minneapolis. Dr. Paul Nesheim will direct The Augustana Choir.
"To Reform: Artists Respond to the Reformation," a gallery exhibition featuring various artists in all media contemplating what the verb 'reform' means to them and/or what the Reformation expresses today
- Reformation Worship featuring the Augustana Choir and Reformation Choir
- Join members of the South Dakota Synod for an evening of worship, music, and celebration as we commemorate the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. All are welcome to attend this milestone in history.
Wednesday, Nov. 1, Sioux Falls Arena. Doors open at 6 p.m. Worship begins at 7 p.m., with prelude before.
- “Reformation and Responsibility in the World” with Rev. Dr. Antje Jackelén, archbishop of Sweden
Public lecture including a short prayer service at 7 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 29, in the Chapel of Reconciliation at Augustana
- Christmas Vespers featuring Augustana's four choirs and the orchestra