The faculty are those who have been granted status as faculty members by the Board of Trustees upon recommendation of the President. The faculty shall consist of teachers with the ranks of Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, or Instructor, and any other designated by the President.
The University welcomes applications for the following Faculty positions:
- Program Director, Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Assistant Professor of Biology
- Graduate or Assistant Swim Coach
- Laboratory Coordinator, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Assistant Professor of English
- Clinical Instructor/Assistant or Associate Professor of Athletic Training
Augustana University is seeking a visionary leader to serve in the role of Program Director of a newly formed hybrid Physical Therapy program. The successful applicant will have an opportunity to not only to lead a new program, but also to work closely with senior leadership at the institutional level to expand graduate programming at Augustana University. The chosen candidate for this role will: have significant leadership experience in the field of Physical Therapy education and how it relates to other health care settings; experience with program development that involves innovation and collaboration; effective communication, interpersonal, and mentoring skills; and, an understanding of the opportunities and challenges affecting the discipline of physical therapy in particular along with health studies in general.
- Earned terminal academic doctorate in a discipline appropriate for teaching responsibilities
- Six years of full-time higher education experience, with a minimum of three years of full-time experience in a physical therapist education program and an understanding of higher eduction and contemporary clinical practice appropriate for leadership in physical therapy education
- Knowledge of legislative, regulatory, legal, and practice regulations affecting clinical education, students , and the profession of physical therapy
- Licensed or eligible for licensure in state of residence
- Evidence of Interacting with students, faculty and leadership with different backgrounds and points of view and a deep appreciation of and respect for academic values and culture must be a top value of the candidate.
- Experience in clinical practice, especially as applicable to clinical education
- Active in professional activities at local, state, and/or national levels
- Establish and maintain program accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). Overall responsible for coordinating the Program’s compliance with all expected standards and rules.
- Coordinate timely submission of required fees and documentation, including reports of graduation rates, to the appropriate accreditation bodies.
- Notify accrediting bodies about expected or unexpected substantive changes within the program and of any change in institutional accreditation status or legal authority to provide post-secondary education.
- Assure access to applicable standards to all members of the faculty and establish expectation for compliance.
- Maintain accurate information on the program website that is easily accessible to the public regarding accreditation status and current student achievement measures.
- Follow policies and procedures of CAPTE as outlined in The CAPTE Rules of Practice and Procedure.
- Develop and maintain a contemporary and evidence-based Doctor of Physical Therapy curriculum that meets the standards of the institution and accreditation requirements and achieves program goals and expected outcomes.
- Provide leadership, vision, and strategic direction for the DPT program within the Vision2030 strategic plan process.
- Provide faculty and staff with mentorship and regular evaluations in accordance with the policies of Augustana University to include an organized professional development plan in the area of teaching, research, and service.
- Plan and administer the DPT budget and financial resources to support current and anticipated program needs to include academic and clinical education, faculty, facilities and equipment needs.
- Recruit faculty for the DPT Program.
- Provide recommendations on continued employment in accordance with the policies of Augustana University.
- Serve on committees and task forces as deemed appropriate.
- Represent the DPT Program to Augustana University, the healthcare community, and the profession of Physical Therapy.
- The Program Director of the DPT Program will teach courses as directed by the Supervisor.
- Performance and evaluation in teaching will be conducted in accordance with the policies and procedures of Augustana University.
The Program Director is a full-time 12-month administrative faculty member (non-tenure track) who has leadership and administrative responsibility for the Doctorate of Physical Therapy program. This individual will work closely with the senior leadership team to establish visionary programming, creative structuring, organizational innovations, and sustained growth in health sciences as Augustana embarks on the emerging and exciting Vision 2030 strategic plan process.
Salary is competitive and dependent upon qualifications; excellent benefit package included.
Application Procedure: Send a letter of application that addresses the required qualifications of the position, a curriculum vita, a completed Augustana University employment application, and the names of at least three professional references electronically to <email@example.com>. Valuing diversity and inclusivity are important aspects of the culture and ethos of Augustana University. Please share how you envision embracing and advancing these ideals. Official web site: www.augie.edu. The position will remain open until filled.
Augustana University invites applications for a continuing-track Assistant Professor position in the Biology Department beginning September 2019. This is a half-teaching/half-lab coordinator position. Candidates are required have a Master’s degree in a biology, preferably in microbiology or a related field. Alternatively, licensed Medical Lab Scientists are also eligible to apply. A Ph.D. is preferred, but not required.
Teaching Expectations: Courses will be assigned based on departmental needs from semester to semester, but will generally include laboratory sections in microbiology, cell biology, genetics, and/or introductory biology. Responsibilities will include coordinating courses with multiple lab sections taught by other faculty. Student academic advising is also an expectation. Ultimately, we seek someone with a demonstrated dedication to undergraduate education, a willingness to be flexible, and a commitment to innovative and excellent teaching. Summer teaching opportunities are also available if desired. Research is not an expectation for the position.
Salary: Salary is competitive and dependent upon qualifications; excellent fringe benefits are included.
Closing Date: Review of applications will begin October 1, 2018 and continue until the position has been filled.
Application Procedure: Please send a letter of application; a statement of teaching philosophy, scientific expertise and experience, statement of commitment to diversity, copies of undergrad and graduate transcripts; a curriculum vita; a completed Augustana University employment application; and three letters of reference electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Search Committee Chair with questions: Dr. Mark Larson, email@example.com, Associate Professor and Chair, Biology Department, 605.274.4700.
Augustana University is seeking a part-time assistant or graduate assistant coach for women's swimming and diving. This position is responsible for assisting the Head Coach in all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the team as well as other responsibilities within the athletic department. Collegiate diving experience preferred. Augustana University is located in Sioux Falls, SD and competes at the NCAA DII level.
A bachelor's degree and acceptance into the master's program is preferred. Compensation will be a stipend and tuition waiver.
To apply, send a letter of interest, resume and the names, addresses and telephone numbers to Lindsie Micko at firstname.lastname@example.org . Review of applications will begin immeadiately and continue until the position is filled.
Position Type: Full-Time
Augustana University seeks to fill a continuing-term, full-time position in the Chemistry Department at the rank of Assistant Professor. Primary responsibilities include coordinating and teaching 100-level chemistry laboratories, for majors and non-majors. The main focus will be maintaining and developing new labs for a number of lower level courses, including general chemistry. This will involve maintaining the departmental general chemistry lab manual. There is a heavy lab component to this position. There is also potential for teaching chemistry lecture and contributing to the teaching of First Year Seminar (FYS) for the shared core curriculum. A demonstrated dedication to undergraduate education, a willingness to be flexible, and a commitment to innovative and excellent teaching are the primary expectations for this position. Bench research is not an expectation for the position. The anticipated start date is Fall 2019, pending budgetary and administrative approval.
Qualifications: Ph.D. in Chemistry; post-doctoral and prior teaching experience would be considered a plus.
Salary: Salary is competitive and dependent upon qualifications; excellent fringe benefits are included.
Closing Date: March 30, 2019 or until position is filled.
Application Procedure: Please send electronically a letter of application; a curriculum vita; a completed Augustana University employment application; a statement of teaching philosophy, scientific expertise and experience; statement of commitment to diversity; copies of undergrad and graduate transcripts; and three letters of reference to: email@example.com. Official web site: www.augie.edu.
Contact Search Committee Chair with questions: Dr. Barrett Eichler, Professor and Chemistry Department Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org, 605.274.4814.
For more information about the Chemistry Department please see: http://www.augie.edu/academics/chemistry
Augustana University invites applications for a 9-month, full-time, tenure-track, Assistant or Associate Professor in the Department of English and Journalism beginning in August 2019.
Responsibilities: The successful applicant will demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching excellence in a liberal arts environment. The ideal applicant will specialize in early and early modern British literature (6th to 18th century), with particular expertise in Shakespeare. S/he should also possess strength in post-colonial Anglophone literatures. In addition to teaching in the area of specialization, the preferred applicant should expect to teach courses in the FYS (First-Year Seminar) program, which includes emphases in composition and rhetoric; the SOPHIA (general education) program, which includes literature courses; and, possibly, the Civitas Honors Program.
The typical load for members of the department is three courses per semester, plus a course in two out of every three January terms.
Qualifications: Completed Ph.D. required. Evidence of teaching excellence and scholarly productivity expected; willingness to engage in research and service; ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and a commitment to serving the campus and broader professional community.
Salary: Salary and rank commensurate with qualifications and experience; excellent fringe benefits are included.
Application Procedure: Please submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, copies of graduate transcripts, evidence of teaching effectiveness (including teaching evaluations), statement of teaching philosophy, statement of research plans, statement of commitment to diversity, a writing sample, a completed Augustana University employment application and three letters of recommendation to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on March 1, 2019. Official web site: www.augie.edu.
Contact Search Committee Chair with questions: Dr. Janet Blank-Libra, firstname.lastname@example.org, 605.274.5436.
Augustana University seeks to fill a full-time position for Assistant or Associate Professor in Athletic Training. Our Athletic Training master’s program is housed within the growing department of Exercise and Sport Sciences (ESS) which includes over 200 majors in Athletic Training, Exercise Science, Fitness Management, Physical Education and Sport Management. Excellent opportunities exist for collaboration with educational partners, health care agencies, and research centers in the Sioux Falls area.
Qualifications: Qualified candidates will possess a terminal degree (Ph.D. or Ed.D.) in Athletic Training or a related field. A commitment to quality teaching and active participation in the Athletic Training profession is necessary. Prior athletic training education administrative experience and experience in maintaining CAATE accreditation standards is preferred. Candidate must be a BOC certified athletic trainer and be eligible for licensure as an athletic trainer in South Dakota. Evidence of college level teaching experience is required. For a tenure-track appointment, the candidate must also demonstrate commitment to professional scholarship and the ability to involve undergraduate students in research.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate will serve as the Clinical Instructor Educator (CIE) of our CAATE accredited master’s program in Athletic Training (ATP) and conduct Preceptor workshops for the clinical education instructors. The candidate will teach 15-18 credits of coursework per academic year including graduate courses in the ATP and one to two undergraduate courses to support our other majors in the department. Probable courses include, but are not limited to: Evaluation and Rehabilitation of Athletic Injuries, Medical Aspects of Sport, Administration in Athletic Training, Clinical Experiences in Athletic Training. The candidate will also coordinate student clinical rotations, evaluate clinical sites and document the student’s clinical learning experiences, develop and maintain relations and conduct frequent evaluations with contracted affiliated sites for the clinical education program, serve as preceptor for the ATP by supervising and evaluating students during their clinical experiences. In addition, the CIE will serve as an academic advisor and mentor for the athletic training students, work with admissions department to recruit prospective athletic training students, participate in the operational concerns of the institution and student community as defined in the faculty handbook, and perform other duties as assigned by the Athletic Training Program Director. The successful candidate will report to the Department Chair of Exercise and Sport Science and the Chair of the Natural Science Division.
Interacting with students, faculty and leadership with different backgrounds and points of view and a deep appreciation of and respect for academic values and culture must be a top value of the candidate.
Salary: Competitive, dependent upon qualifications and experience.
Application Procedures: Review of complete applications will begin December 1, 2018 and remain open until the position is filled. Please submit a complete application including a letter of application, an employment application, educational philosophy, curriculum vitae, transcripts, and a list of three references (include name, address, telephone number and email) electronically to: email@example.com. Augustana values diversity and inclusivity, and it is essential aspects of the culture and ethos of the University. Please share how you envision embracing and advancing these ideas. Official web site: www.augie.edu.
Contact Search Committee Chair with questions: Dr. Sherry Barkley, Chair Exercise and Sports Sciences, firstname.lastname@example.org , 605.274.4312.
Address for sending applications:
Dean of the University
Email submissions are preferred.
Dean of the University
Sioux Falls, SD 57197
Augustana University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Title IX Employer that seeks to recruit, develop and retain a talented and diverse workforce. Augustana University is committed to excellence through diversity and strongly encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community. Submission of official transcripts may be required upon employment. Finalist candidates must satisfactorily complete pre-employment background check.