Frequently Asked Questions
The following are frequently asked questions regarding Augustana's celebration of graduates. This year's undergraduate Commencement events have been postponed. More details will be coming soon.
- Do I need to apply to graduate?
- As a graduating senior, how can I apply to speak at Commencement?
- When and where do I get my cap, gown, hood (for Master's Degree candidates only) and other paraphernalia?
- What events are being planned around graduation for family and friends?
- When and where are the two Commencement events (undergraduate and Master's Degree ceremonies) being held?
- Do I need tickets for either Baccalaureate or Commencement?
- How do I order graduation announcements, a class ring and diploma frame?
- Will there be a professional photographer?
- When will I receive my official diploma?
- Where can I find gifts for a graduate?
- Where can I stay nearby?
- Where can I eat on campus?
- Who can help me find a job after graduation?
- If I am a parent, how can I keep in touch?
A. Yes, you need to apply to graduate. If this is news to you and you are planning to graduate in May of 2020, please contact one of the following offices as soon as possible:
- (for undergraduates) Registrar’s Office at 605.274.4121 or email email@example.com
- (for Master's Degree candidates) Graduate Education Office at 605.274.4113 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A. Those members of the Class of 2020 who are interested in being the senior speaker at Commencement are invited by the Honorary Degree and Commencement Committee to submit an application. A call for applications will be announced this spring.
A. Undergraduate caps and gowns will be distributed at Commencement rehearsal. There is no fee for undergraduate caps and gowns, and pre-orders are not required.
- Caps, gowns and hoods for Master's Degree candidates need to be purchased online at www.herffjones.com/college/
- Honor cords for the Summa Cum Laude candidates will be distributed at rehearsal.
- Civitas stoles will be distributed at the Civitas reception on Friday.
A. Tickets are not required for the graduate Commencement and Hooding Ceremony (Friday night), Baccalaureate (Saturday morning) or undergraduate Commencement (Saturday afternoon).
All Commencement seating is general admission.
- (for the graduate Commencement and Hooding Ceremony) Doors open at the Elmen Center (2505 S. Grange Ave.) for seating at 6:30 p.m. Wheelchair seating will be available. Sign language interpreters will be available near seating reserved for those needing viewing accessibility. No prior reservation of these spaces is required.
- (for undergraduate Commencement) Doors open at the Sioux Falls Arena (1201 N. West Ave.) for seating at 12 p.m. Wheelchair seating will be available on the floor, behind the graduates. We ask that you limit the floor seating as much as possible to allow all guests needing this area to have access. Sign language interpreters will be available on the west side of the stage, where seating is reserved for those needing viewing accessibility. No prior reservation of these spaces is required.
A. Graduation announcements, class rings and diploma frames are available from Herff-Jones. Personalized announcements are available online. Blank announcements are available in the Augustana Bookstore or by calling 605.274.4417.
A. Professional photographs will be taken by Lifetouch Special Events at both Commencement events. All graduates will be photographed on stage as they shake hands with the president, as well as a posed photo with an Augustana background. Students can view and order photos online at lifetouch.com. Proofs will also be emailed to students within one week. The mailing address used will be the same address provided for mailing diplomas. There is no obligation to purchase the photos.
A. Diplomas will be mailed to students in the weeks following Commencement. Typically, diplomas go out in late June or early July. Diplomas cannot be released unless all student account balances are paid in full. Please work with the Business Office to take care of any remaining expenses and ensure that your diploma is sent on time.
Q. Where can I stay nearby?
A. If you are making travel arrangements, a block of rooms for Augustana University has been reserved at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown in Sioux Falls. Please contact the hotel directly at 605.444.4700 for a special rate. Additionally, here is a list of suggested hotels, restaurants and maps to get you where you need to go! Be sure to ask for the Augustana rate at these hotels as well.
A. Dining on campus is easy! The Ordal Dining Room is open daily from 7:15 a.m.-7 p.m., while the Viking Huddle is open from 8 a.m.-midnight during the week and from noon-midnight on Saturday and Sunday.
A. Be sure to keep in touch! The Student Success Center is here to assist with your initial job search and to stay in contact throughout your career. When you land your first job or commit to a graduate school program, notify us immediately so we can share your good news. Ongoing services include resume writing, job search help, posting positions and credential files — just to name a few! Visit us online or contact us at 605.274.4127. We look forward to hearing from you!
A. Updates will be sent out periodically via a Parent E-Newsletter. To stay in the loop, please email Parents@augie.edu to sign up to receive the Parent E-Newsletter.
Further questions can be directed to: email@example.com.