The strategic goals and guiding principles for Augustana College are set in the context of the mission statement and core values of the College. Our vision statement delineates our aspiration. These goals and principles intentionally articulate and serve as the framework for planning, action and evaluation of every element of the College. We envision qualitative and quantitative controlled enrollment and fund raising growth that will provide robust energy and financial vitality for the future. Academic excellence, service to humankind, the integration of faith in learning and a commitment to the liberal arts are central to an Augustana education and provide the foundation for the following strategic plan.
The following Strategic Plan was adopted by the Board of Trustees in April of 2007.
Engage students in learning as the first and most fundamental task of the College.
- Deliver a core liberal arts curriculum that engages student learning in the humanities and arts, the social sciences and natural sciences. The Augustana curriculum will emphasize integrative learning and complex problem solving, developing skills and knowledge for living and working in a changing world, and developing values for lives of responsibility and commitment.
- Educate students who will be academically excellent, highly articulate, and morally centered persons who are prepared to serve and to lead.
- Provide learning experiences outside the classroom that enhance leadership competencies, encourage an appreciation and respect for community, and promote personal development.
- Create opportunities for enhanced student learning through our honors curriculum, service-learning, undergraduate research and faculty mentoring.
- Engage students in learning through athletic competition, the performing and visual arts and in other co-curricular activities.
Enhance the distinctive features of an Augustana education.
- Enhance collegial scholarly work in the form of research and creativity involving faculty and students.
- Promote and engage students in diverse and international learning opportunities.
- Maximize local, regional, national, and international collaborations to expand the educational experience of students.
- Involve students in learning that encourages the integration of faith, academics and service.
- Enter into covenant relationships to maximize growth and learning, by offering generous levels of support, in the pursuit of excellence.
Integrate intentionally faith and learning in the life of the College.
- Honor the centrality of the practices of the Christian faith. These practices include shared worship, discernment of vocation, and concern for neighbor.
- Engage the Lutheran practice of welcoming other faith traditions and all people.
- Encourage spiritual growth and faith development.
- Prepare students to serve our campus, our community and our world.
- Intentionally connect the freedom we enjoy to engage in discussion of faith with the obligation we feel to do so.
Expand Educational Opportunities
- Develop a comprehensive strategy for non-campus based learning.
- Determine the appropriateness of the College in providing advanced degree programs.
- Expand academic programs that fit the College’s mission.
- Expand significantly continuing education opportunities in credit and non-credit learning opportunities.
- Find creative ways to utilize our revenue-generating assets to expand opportunities for the broader community that are consistent with the mission of the College.
Intensify relationships with constituent groups.
- Provide numerous opportunities for Augustana’s varied constituencies to participate in the life of the College.
- Create synergistic collaborative efforts with community resources, businesses, churches and agencies that enhance all aspects of life on campus and in the community.
- Be a mission to the church by offering services and programs that enhance congregational life.
- Become the center of intellectual, spiritual, cultural and political discourse in the city and the region.
- Demonstrate commitment to the value of all persons through caring support and acts of kindness.
Continue to build and strengthen the culture which focuses on providing a substantive and creative learning experience for all.
- Attract highly qualified students to maintain and gradually elevate the academic quality of entering classes.
- Improve retention of returning students by admitting the right students and providing a living/learning experience which meets their needs while challenging them to grow and mature.
- Recruit and develop faculty who are excellent teachers, scholars and committed to liberal arts education.
- Fund a total compensation package that will position salaries in the top 25% of ELCA colleges and universities.
- Provide professional development that will impart the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary for all employees to perform their responsibilities with excellence.
- Establish clear performance criteria for faculty, administrators and support staff and provide consistent feedback.
- Develop an organizational structure and a culture of trust that will enable orderly decision making and clear communication.
- Seek students, faculty, and administrative and support staff who mirror the changing minority demographics of Sioux Falls and the region.
Ensure fiscal stability and resource stewardship to support the mission of the College.
- Identify key institutional parameters and targets to measure financial stability.
- Develop a long-term capital budget that addresses the issues of facility needs and equipment procurement, preventative maintenance and repair.
- Develop an endowment of 175 million dollars to ensure the long-term stability of the College, maximize new opportunities within our mission and provide excellence in everything we do.
- Enhance annual revenues to support the mission of the College.
- Provide a broad-based, strategic program of continuing donor development to achieve annual financial goals, grow the endowment and support campaign activities for articulated projects.
- Provide an ambitious but realistic program of financial investment to achieve fiscal goals.
Celebrate the joy of Augustana.
- Assemble evidence that demonstrates the value of the Augustana experience.
- Promote the enduring worth of an Augustana education.
- Create and execute a comprehensive marketing plan for the College.
- Target new populations to expand the geographical influence and brand image of the College.
- Proudly proclaim the academic and co-curricular accomplishments of students, faculty and alumni.
- Recognize the unique gifts and sense of community fostered by the students, employees, alumni and supporters of the College.
- Foster beauty and sustainability in our environment.