Highlights, Special Features and Opportunities
From the Pre-Med Club to the Biology Club, learn about Augustana’s campus-based and nationally-affiliated clubs and organizations you can participate in as a biology major.
Augustana's biology department is one of the more active groups on campus.
Biology Seminar Series
Biology Department Seminars are free and open to the public. Seminars will be held at 3 p.m. in Gilbert Science Center, Room 101, unless otherwise noted.
- Wednesday, Feb. 18: “Inspiring Conservation: The Rewards and Challenges of Working in the Nonprofit Sector”
Audrey Willard (’03 Augie Alum), Executive Director, Sertoma Butterfly House & Marine Cove
- Wednesday, March 11: “A Little Perspective on Fisheries Biology in Southeastern South Dakota”
David Lucchesi, Fisheries Biologist, SD Game Fish and Parks
- Friday, April 17: “Forensic Investigation of the 17th-Century Chesapeake”
3 - 4:30 p.m., GSC 100
Dr. Douglas Owsley, Department of Anthropology National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution
- Wednesday, April 22: “Precision Medicine: The Tools of Genomics in Medical Practice”
Dr. Gene Hoyme (’72 Augie Alum), Chief, Genetics & Genomic Medicine, and Chief Academic Officer at Sanford Health Professor of Pediatrics (Medical Genetics)
Sanford School of Medicine of the University of South Dakota
View the past Fall 2014 seminar series.
Clubs and Organizations
- Augie Green works toward establishing ecologically sound environments on campus and the local community. "Go Green." Visit their on campus page link.
- Beta Beta Beta is the local chapter of the National Biological Honor Society. Visit their on-campus page link.
- Augustana Pre-Med Club is an organization dedicated to helping its members prepare for application and admission into medical schools, as well as providing social activities for students in health-related programs. Visit their on-campus page link.