Highlights, Special Features and Opportunities
- Faculty members Sandra Looney and Janet Blank-Libra have both won Augustana’s most prestigious faculty teaching award, the Vernon and Mildred Neibuhr Faculty Excellence Award. Patrick Hicks and Jeffrey Miller have been award nominees.
- Janet Blank-Libra was awarded the Stanley L. Olsen Chair of Moral Values in 2010.
- Janet Blank-Libra won the Augustana Student Association Best Teacher Award in 2008. Cheryl Jackson, Patrick Hicks and Jeffrey Miller have been award nominees.
Covenant Award Winners
- Excellence - Lacey Horkey Dixon ‘06 (English)
- Excellence - Sarah Ochsner ‘06 (English)
- Excellence - Naomi Gades ‘07 (English)
- Liberal Arts - Shannon Cumiskey '10 (English)
- Community - Mari Stensgaard '11 (English/Journalism)
- Two English majors — Kristen Wilcox ’08 and Sara Eiesland ’09 — delivered the student addresses at recent commencement exercises.
- Students have the chance to graduate with honors through the Alpha Xi Mu chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the national English honors society.
- The Writers Guild is a student-led writer’s workshop and showcase where students can sharpen their work through peer support.
- Many department majors share what they’ve learned with the Augustana community by tutoring in the Writing Center, where students from all over campus come for help with their writing.
Every spring, English and journalism majors and faculty take a break from rigorous study to participate in the Walter Neff Memorial Invitational Bowling Tournament.
Named in honor of the protagonist from the film Double Indemnity, the tournament includes prizes for best and worst individual score. (Note that faculty most often compete for the worst score.)