Admission Policies and Information
Acceptance into the ATP is based on competitive admission policies. Candidates must meet the following criteria and rank high in order to be accepted into the Athletic Training Program.
Prospective students must complete the Athletic Training Program Application for Admission form and return it to the program director of athletic training by April 1st of the calendar year in which they are seeking acceptance. A letter of intent must accompany the application form, as well as three reference letters from non-family members.
Prospective students must have completed the required pre-requisites prior to acceptance into the athletic training program.
Subjective points are awarded for the student’s cumulative GPA and individual grades for their pre-requisite courses. Students are highly encouraged to complete these academic pre-requisite courses at Augustana University.
Subjective points are awarded for the successful documentation of their completed observation hours.
The applicant will participate in an interview upon successful completion of the application requirements.
The interview will be conducted by the Athletic Training Program Selection Committee. Candidates will have the opportunity to express their interests in the athletic training profession, state career goals, professional aspirations, and discuss their personal background. Objective points will be awarded to the prospective student for their formal interview.
Acceptance into the Program
Students will be selected into the Athletic Training Program based upon the completion of the aforementioned criteria as well as:
Costs associated with the aforementioned are listed in the Student Health Record packet. Subjective points will be awarded for the completion of these criteria. The members of the selection committee will then rank each candidate on the competitive admission points form and take the top selections. The number of accepted students will be based on the current number of students within the program. Applicants will be notified in writing by June 1st of the calendar year in which they are applying for acceptance.
- Maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA and complete the following courses:
- PSYC 115 (General Psychology) or PSYC 210 (Life-span Human Development)
- BIOL 110 (Biology & Human Concerns) or BIOL 120 (Biological Principles)
- CHEM 116 (General Chemistry I)
- Students must also possess a valid CPR card.
- Prospective students are required to document 100 clock hours of clinical observation.
- Must be supervised by a licensed and/or certified athletic trainer
- Hours are preferrably completed at Augustana University, but may be competed off-campus
- The Letter of Intent
- Application Form
- Three Letters of Reference
- Academic Criteria
- 50-100 hours of clinical observation
- Documented completion of their Blood Borne Pathogen training
- Immunization Record
- Physical Examination / Medical History
- First Aid / CPR certification
- Technical Standards document.
- Students accepted into the ATP who are unable to maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA will be placed on academic probation for one semester.
- Failure to reach a 2.0 cumulative GPA after one semester of probation will result in disqualification from the program.
- A student may be admitted into the Athletic Training Program on a probationary status.
- Admission on a probationary status is determined solely by the Program Director.
- Students who do not demonstrate professional behavior and/or progress through their clinical education will be subject to probation/disqualification from the Athletic Training Program.
- Students who demonstrate unprofessional behavior will be placed on probation for one semester.
- Students on probation will be counseled by the Program Director.