Careers and Graduate Success in English/Journalism
Many of our students become professional journalists and teachers, but others have forged their own paths to places like the White House or work in Alaska.
English and Journalism majors are well-prepared to enter any field they wish. While many follow vocations in traditional fields involving teaching, writing and publishing, our graduates have also distinguished themselves in areas as diverse as law, banking, agribusiness, microbiology, politics and the arts. The skills you develop in reading, writing and critical thinking as an English/Journalism major at Augustana will guide you to success in whatever endeavor you may choose.
Recent English alumni include:
- Sonia Halbach '11, novelist (The Krampus Chronicle) and blogger, New York
- Emily Schirmer '09, attorney, Belin McCormic, Des Moines, Iowa
- Luke Tatge '09, copy writer for Epicosity Marketing and playwright, Sioux Falls
- Sara Gillis '09, instructor of English and communication, Southeast Technical Institute, Sioux Falls
- Jason Van Engen ’07, English and journalism teacher, O’Gorman High School, Sioux Falls
- Jess Winter ’07, literacy coordinator, Minnesota Reading Corps, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Amber Hallberg ’05, lead bookseller, Barnes and Noble, Irving, Texas
- Jessica Iverson Trygstad ‘05, newsletter coordinator, Good Samaritan Society, Sioux Falls
- Michael Goodwin ’04, law student, Hamline University, St. Paul, Minn.
- Colleen Klingsmith Hillesheim ’04, sales and marketing coordinator, Twin Cities Business, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Ruth Aartun ‘03, radio producer and host, Townsquare Media, Sioux Falls
- Maren Williams ‘03, reference librarian, University of Louisiana-Monroe, Monroe, La.
- Sarah Manning ’02, chief strategy officer, Palmer Health, Kansas City, Mo.
- Julie Kraft ’02, Ph.D. candidate in English, Indiana University, Bloomington
- Heidi Tieszen Haag ’01, senior marketing coordinator, Bain and Co., San Francisco, Calif.
Recent journalism alumni include:
- Rebekah Tuchscherer ’20 -- Agriculture/environment reporter, Sioux Falls Argus Leader; contributor, Science magazine
- Keeley Meier ’20 – Reporter/columnist, Brandon Valley (S.D.) Journal
- Jacob Knutson ’19 – Content contributor, Axios (Washington, D.C.)
- Marcus Asmus ‘18 – Photojournalist/videographer, KQDS-Fox21, Duluth, Minn.
- Naras Pramaswari ’17 – Broadcaster, Voice of America Indonesia Service (Washington, D.C.)
- Maria Lavelle ’17 – Filmmaker, New York/Norway
- Matthew Housiaux ’16 – Associate Editor, Kiplinger Letter (Washington, D.C.)
- Sarah Kocher ’16 – Reporter, St. Cloud (Minn.) Times
- September Symens-Lacroix ’15 – Marketing Coordinator, E Creative (Omaha)
- Matthew Stoffel ’15 – Sales and Outreach Manager, 9 Clouds Marketing (Sioux Falls/Minneapolis); playwright and actor (Minneapolis)
- Ashley White ’10 – Digital content producer, KSHB-TV, Kansas City, Mo.
- Angela Shubert Dejene ’09 – Founder and President, Dejene Communications (Minneapolis)
- Bryann Becker Knecht ’08 – Communications Coordinator, Office of the Mayor, Sioux Falls
- Kaeti Hinck ’07 – Director of Visual News, CNN (New York)