Master of Professional Accountancy
AU students network with professionals from premiere accounting firms at the Meet the Firms event each fall here on campus.
Kasey Geiger Spring 2019 Graduate
"As I begin to study for the CPA exam, I feel that I already know what to expect and I definitely feel more prepared due to the coursework and experiences I’ve had through the MPA program at Augustana. My advisors/professors have been so helpful in making sure I graduate as soon as possible with the necessary credits, and they’ve been so supportive in the classroom as well as in my job search. I definitely recommend that all accounting students consider taking the MPA route through Augustana - it was the best decision I made regarding my future in the accounting world!"
Brett Kramer Spring 2019 Graduate
Tyler Beck Spring 2019 Graduate
CPA Exam Pass Rates
- AU Grads: 100%
- Nat'l Avg: 50.97
- AU Grads: 100%
- Nat'l Avg: 59.35%
- AU Grads: 88.89%
- Nat'l Avg: 46.22%
- AU Grads: 71.43%
- Nat'l Avg: 53.16%
*2018 Pass rates, per ALCPA.org
Demand for Certified Public Accountants is on the Rise
According to a Bureau of Labor Statistics forecast, the number of accounting and auditing jobs in the U.S. is expected to increase by 10 percent (139,900 positions) by 2026.
Augustana's master of professional accountancy program is designed as a three-plus-two degree to prepare students to enter the accounting industry.
The first three years of the program will be spent working at the undergraduate level with the fourth year designed as a transitional year with some graduate-level coursework. Students will spend their fifth year working at the graduate level.
Augustana’s master of professional accountancy program is designed to meet the requirements of the Certified Professional Accountant licensing exam in South Dakota and in most other states.
In addition to coursework, internship experiences are woven into the program’s curriculum.
Prerequisites to program
- Acct 210
- Acct 211
- Acct 322
- Acct 323
- Acct 344 Tax1
- BSAD 340 Blaw 1
Required = 21 hours
- Acct 545 Organizational Tax
- Acct 610 Governmental & Not-for-Profit
- Acct 648 Advanced Accounting
- Acct 649 Auditing
- Acct 695 Internship
- Acct 605 Accounting Informational Systems
- BSAD 580 Business Law ll
Electives - minimum of 9 credits (3 credits must be from the 600 level)
- Acct 6XX Financial Reporting & Analysis
- Acct 5XX Accounting Beyond the Financial Stmts
- BSAD 675 Statistics
- BSAD 531 Advanced Finance
- COMM 650 Leadership & Decision Making
- COMM 665 Advanced Public Relations
- PHIL 690 Ethics of Professions
- PHIL 615 Ideas that have Shaped Our World
In This Program, You Will Learn to:
- Apply theories of accounting to real-world experiences.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of current issues within the accounting industry.
- Critically analyze the codifications for the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB), and IRS code.
- Effectively write business communications and present to your peers.
- Demonstrate advanced skills in critical thinking.
Why Choose Augustana for Your Master of Professional Accountancy?
- Time: At the end of five years, you will graduate with two degrees: a bachelor's degree and a master's degree and hold the 150 college credits required to sit for the CPA exam.
- Excellence Through Applied Learning: In the Organizational Tax class, for example, students will be required to complete mock tax returns, analyze cases and write tax memorandums. The Audit class will include writing memorandums based on audit scenarios and digging into codification to find answers. Students will gain the experience of working on teams and the application of the theories they talk about in the classroom.
"This program will allow students to see the connections between the classroom and the business world."
– Laura Hybertson, CPA and Associate Professor of Business Administration
- Faculty: The accounting faculty have spent time in industry allowing them to bring first hand experiences into the classroom.
- Coursework: The program was developed in consultation with employers. Therefore, the courses are a combination of technical accounting skills and broader business knowledge. Students will also choose from a variety of electives providing skill sought by today’s employers.
- Internships: Students have interned at a variety of organizations. Many of which have lead to full time employment opportunities.
A list of just some of the organizations where our students have interned.
- Eide Bailly
- Thurman Comes Foley & Co LLP
- Weisser Distributing
- First Premier Bank
- Sanford Health
The Master of Professional Accountancy degree is approved by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC).