Auditions for the Augustana Band, Augustana Orchestra, Brass Choir, and Jazz Band will take place Tuesday, Aug. 27, through Friday, Aug. 30.
Augustana Bands/Orchestra/Brass Choir/Northlanders Jazz Band*
The audition process for the Augustana Band, Blue and Gold Band, Brass Choir, Orchestra Wind Section, and Jazz Band for woodwind and brass students will be, as follows:
- Prepared Excerpts (see audition package)
- Concert Major scales and arpeggios through 5 #s and 5 b’s (see audition package)
- Chromatic Scale
- Sight Reading
Introduction Percussionists will be asked to prepare:
- Prepared excerpts
- Keyboard Percussion
- Snare Drum
- Sight Reading
Fall 2019 — Woodwind, Brass and Percussion Audition Packages
- Bass Trombone
- Bass Clarinet
Sign up for your audition time first and then complete the AU Ensemble Audition Questionnaire.
Sign up for your audition time
- Please fill out this AU Ensemble Audition Questionnaire form PRIOR to your audition.
*Northlanders Jazz Band Auditions
In addition to the material that is required for your band audition, students of the Northlanders Jazz Band horn section (trumpet, trombone and saxophone) should prepare the required jazz etude (see Northlanders Audition Package). For lead chairs/solo chairs, students should prepare to improvise on a 12-bar blues progression (in th e key of Bb). Northlanders rhythm section (piano, guitar, and bass) auditions will take place during the regular audition sequence for all ensembles (i.e., sign up for an audition time slot). Rhythm section players should be prepared to demonstrate prowess in multiple styles/genres (See Northlanders Audition Package). Jazz Ensemble Drummers should sign up for a five-minute time slot earmarked for Jazz auditions that is scheduled for the evening of Tuesday, Aug. 27. Jazz Ensemble drummers should prepare Tom Morgan's "Sign of Times." (See Northlanders Audition Package). The accompanying audio files have both a take with drums and a take without drums. You will audition with the track without drums.
For more information, please contact Dr. Brian Hanegan.
- For a Northlanders Audition Package — please view online.
- For Drummers ONLY — Tom Morgan's "Sign of Times."
Orchestra (strings/harp) Auditions
The audition consists of:
- Scales/Arpeggios — ascending and descending scales and arpeggios, at least two octaves, through 5 #'s and 5 b's (no minor keys)
- Requested Excerpts will be posted on July 1, 2019
- Sight reading (to be selected from the upcoming semester repertoire)
Orchestra interests should be directed to Dr. Peter Folliard at 605.274.5233.
We look forward to hearing your audition, and to your participation in our instrumental programs!