Auditions for the Augustana Band, Augustana Orchestra, Brass Choir, and Jazz Band will take place Tuesday, Aug. 28, through Friday, Aug. 31.
Augustana Bands/Orchestra/Brass Choir/Northlanders Jazz Band*
The audition process for the Augustana Band, Blue and Gold Band, Brass Choir, Orchestra Wind Section, and Jazz Band for woodwind and brass students will be as follows:
- Prepared Excerpts (see audition package)
- Concert Major scales and arpeggios through 5 #s and 5 b’s (see audition package)
- Chromatic Scale
- Sight Reading
Percussionists will be asked to prepare:
- Major scales
- Prepared excerpts (see audition package below)
- Sight Reading
Fall 2018 — Woodwind, Brass and Percussion Audition Packages
- Bass Trombone
- Bass Clarinet
- Woodwinds/Brass/Percussion/Strings — please sign up for an audition time online.
*Northlanders Jazz Band Auditions
In addition to the material that is required for your band audition, students of the Northlanders Jazz Band horn section (trumpet, trombone and saxophone) should prepare the required jazz etude (see Northlanders Audition Package). For lead chairs/solo chairs, students should prepare to improvise on a 12-bar blues progression (in th e key of Bb). Northlanders rhythm section auditions will take place during the regular audition sequence for all ensembles (i.e., sign up for an audition time slot). Rhythm section players should be prepared to demonstrate prowess in multiple styles/genres (See Northlanders Audition Package). For more information, please contact Dr. Brian Hanegan.
- For a Northlanders Audition Package — please sign up online.
Orchestra (strings/harp) Auditions
The audition consists of:
- Scales/Arpeggios — ascending and descending scales and arpeggios, at least two octaves, in the following keys — C major, G major, D major and A major (no minor keys)
- Requested Excerpts:
- Sight reading (to be selected from the upcoming semester repertoire)
Orchestra interests should be directed to Dr. Peter Folliard at 605.274.5233.
We look forward to hearing your audition, and to your participation in our instrumental programs!