Choral Ensemble Auditions
All full-time Augustana students are eligible to audition for the university's three large choirs: The Augustana Choir, The University Chorale, and Angelus. Only one individual audition is necessary in order to be considered for these choirs.
Please carefully read the information below.
Augustana’s choirs appear separately and together in events that include major concerts, Chapel services, and Augustana Christmas Vespers.
- The Augustana Choir is a mixed ensemble with a rich history spanning nearly 100 years. Under the direction of its fifth conductor, Dr. Paul Nesheim, The Augustana Choir brings sacred choral music of the highest caliber to people around the region, nation, and world. The choir meets Monday through Thursday from 3:55-5:10 p.m. The Chamber Choir, also directed by Dr. Nesheim, comprises select members of the Augustana Choir and performs music of many styles, ranging from Renaissance motets to vocal jazz. The Chamber Choir rehearses on Mondays and Thursdays from 5:15-6:05 p.m.
- Conducted by Dr. Russell Svenningsen, The University Chorale is an ensemble of mixed voices that is dedicated to excellence in the performance of outstanding repertoire from a variety of historical periods. In addition to appearing in department choral events and campus chapel services, the Chorale also shares the stage with Angelus in their own spring concert. The University Chorale rehearses Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 3-3:50 p.m.
- Dr. Lisa Grevlos conducts Angelus, a treble-voice ensemble that performs music ranging from 11th-century chants to compositions by Vivaldi and Brahms to new works by American and international composers. Angelus, a unique resource in the Sioux Falls area, is committed to giving concerts of the highest musical excellence. Angelus rehearses Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 3-3:50 p.m.
Sunday, Aug. 25
- 6-8 p.m. — Auditions, HUM 173
Monday, Aug. 26
- 6-9 p.m. — Auditions, HUM 173
Tuesday, Aug. 27
- 1-5 p.m. — Auditions, HUM 173
- 6:30-9 p.m. — Auditions, HUM 173
Wednesday, Aug. 28
- 2-5 p.m. — Auditions, HUM 173
Thursday, Aug. 29
- 9:30-10:30 a.m. — Auditions, HUM 173
- 3:55-6:15 p.m. — Augustana Choir Recalls, HUM 173
Friday, Aug. 30
- 6:30-9 p.m. — Choir Retreat at First Presbyterian Church
Saturday, Aug. 31
- 9-12 p.m. — Choir Retreat at First Presbyterian Church
Tuesday, Sept. 3
- All choir rehearsals begin
1. Sign up online for an audition time. Please sign up for only one audition time as early on the schedule as possible.
2. Complete three (3) copies of the audition questionnaire prior to your posted audition time and bring them to your audition.
3. Auditions will be held in the Humanities Building, Rm. 173 (the Choir Room). Please arrive 10 minutes prior to your audition time.
4. The individual audition format will be as follows:
- Each singer performs "Silent Night, Holy Night" in a comfortable key accompanied by one of the conductors. A printed copy of the song will be provided.
- Range Check: Each singer will be led through vocal exercises to check for range, quality and consistency of tone, etc.
- Tonal Memory: Each singer will be asked to listen to and sing back simple melodic patterns on a neutral syllable.
5. After all individual auditions are complete, singers who are being considered for The Augustana Choir will be invited to a brief recall audition by section. The recall list will be posted on Dr. Neshem’s door (HUM 136) on Thursday, Aug. 29 by 2:00 p.m. Those singers listed on the recall list should report to Humanities 173 (the Choir Room) that same day, Thursday, Aug. 29, at the times listed below. This audition is required in order to be considered for The Augustana Choir. Returning members of The Augustana Choir are also required to be present for the recall audition for their section. Please arrive 10 minutes early.
- 3:55 p.m. Bass 1 & 2
- 4:15 p.m. Tenor 1 & 2
- 4:35 p.m. Alto 2
- 4:55 p.m. Alto 1
- 5:15 p.m. Soprano 2
- 5:35 p.m. Soprano
6. Complete Ensemble rosters will be posted on the conductors' doors by 1 p.m. Friday, Aug. 30.
- Those singers listed on the roster for University Chorale should register for MUSI 095B
- Those singers listed on the roster for Angelus should register for MUSI 095D
- Those singers listed on the roster for The Augustana Choir should register for MUSI 095A
7. Members of all choirs are expected to attend the Choir Retreat on Friday, August 30, from 6:30-9:00 p.m., and Saturday, August 31, from 9 a.m. to noon. Contact one of the conductors immediately if you anticipate a potential conflict with these times.
8. Daily rehearsals continue for all Augustana choirs on Tuesday, Sept. 3.
- The Augustana Choir rehearses MTWH 3:55-5:10 p.m. in Humanities 173.
- The University Chorale rehearses MTWF 3-3:50 p.m. in the Chapel.
- Angelus rehearses MTWF 3-3:50 p.m. in Humanities 173.
- All Pro-Musica Scholarship recipients must audition for and participate in an assigned Augustana University choir during any term in which they are drawing scholarship funds.
- At the discretion of the conductors, singers may be excused from one rehearsal per week due to a conflict with a science lab if no other lab time is available. In such a case, contact your conductor for a registration override.
- Separate auditions for the Chamber Choir will take place once semester rehearsals for The Augustana Choir have begun.