All full-time Augustana students are eligible to audition for the university's three large choirs: The Augustana Choir, The University Chorale, and Angelus. Only one individual audition is necessary in order to be considered for these choirs.
About the Choirs
Augustana’s choirs appear separately and together in events that include major concerts, Chapel services, and Augustana Christmas Vespers.
The Augustana Choir - With a rich history spanning nearly 100 years this mixed ensemble is under the direction of its fifth conductor, Dr. Paul Nesheim. The Augustana Choir brings sacred choral music of the highest caliber to people around the region, nation, and world. The choir meets Monday through Thursday from 3:55-5:10 p.m. The Chamber Choir, also directed by Dr. Nesheim, comprises select members of the Augustana Choir and performs music of many styles, ranging from Renaissance motets to vocal jazz. The Chamber Choir rehearses on Mondays and Thursdays from 5:15-6:05 p.m.
The University Chorale - Conducted by Dr. Russell Svenningsen, this ensemble of mixed voices is dedicated to excellence in the performance of outstanding repertoire from a variety of historical periods. In addition to appearing in department choral events and campus chapel services, the Chorale also shares the stage with Angelus in their own spring concert. The University Chorale rehearses Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 3-3:50 p.m.
Angelus - A treble-voice ensemble that performs music ranging from 11th-century chants to compositions by Vivaldi and Brahms to new works by American and international composers. Angelus, conducted by Dr. Lisa Grevlos, is a unique resource in the Sioux Falls area, committed to giving concerts of the highest musical excellence. Angelus rehearses Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 3-3:50 p.m.
2020 Choral Audition Schedule
Location: HUM 173 (Choir Room) and Hamre Recital Hall
Sunday, Aug. 23
• 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Monday, Aug. 24
• 10:00 a.m - noon
• 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
• 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 25
• 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
• 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
1. Sign up online for an audition time using this link. Please sign up for only one audition time as early on the schedule as possible.
2. Complete the online audition questionnaire prior to your posted audition time.
3. Auditions will be held in the Fryxell Humanities Center. Both the Hamre Recital Hall and Room 173 (the Choir Room) will be used. Note the specific location of your audition when you sign up for your time. Please arrive 10 minutes prior to your audition time, and be sure to observe physical distancing before, during, and as you leave the audition.
4. The individual audition format will be as follows:
• Each singer performs "Silent Night, Holy Night" in a comfortable key accompanied by one of the conductors. A printed copy of the song will be provided.
• Range Check: Each singer will be led through vocal exercises to check for range, quality and consistency of tone, etc.
• Tonal Memory: Each singer will be asked to listen to and sing back simple melodic patterns on a neutral syllable.
5. After all individual auditions are complete, singers who are being considered for The Augustana Choir will be invited to a brief recall audition by section. The recall list will be posted on Dr. Neshem’s door (HUM 136) and on this webpage on Thursday, Aug. 27 by 10:00 a.m. Those singers listed on the recall list should report to your recall audition that same day, Thursday, Aug. 27, at the times and locations listed below. This audition is required in order to be considered for membership in The Augustana Choir. Returning members of The Augustana Choir are also required to be present for the recall audition for their section. Please arrive 10 minutes early.
• 3:55 p.m. Bass 1 & 2 — Hamre Recital Hall
• 4:25 p.m. Tenor 1 & 2 — HUM 173 (Choir Room)
• 4:55 p.m. Alto 2 — Hamre Recital Hall
• 5:25 p.m. Alto 1 — HUM 173 (Choir Room)
• 5:55 p.m. Soprano 2 — Hamre Recital Hall
• 6:25 p.m. Soprano — HUM 173 (Choir Room)
6. Complete Ensemble rosters will be posted on the conductors' doors and on this webpage by 1:00 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 28. After selection singers should register for the corresponding class.
• The Augustana Choir should register for MUSI 095A
• University Chorale should register for MUSI 095B
• Angelus should register for MUSI 095D
7. Daily rehearsals for all Augustana choirs will start on Monday, August 31. Rehearsal times and locations are as follows:
• The Augustana Choir - MTWH 3:55-5:10 p.m. in the Chapel.
• The University Chorale - MTWF 3-3:50 p.m. in the Chapel.
• Angelus - MTWF 3-3:50 p.m. in Froiland Science Complex 113.
1. All Pro-Musica Scholarship recipients must audition for and participate in an assigned Augustana University choir during any term in which they are drawing scholarship funds.
2. At the discretion of the conductors, singers may be excused from one rehearsal per week due to a conflict with a science lab if no other lab time is available. In such a case, contact your conductor for a registration override.
3. Separate auditions for the Chamber Choir will take place once semester rehearsals for The Augustana Choir have begun.
4. Please note the following recording sessions that will require time outside of an ensemble’s normal rehearsal time during the fall semester. Although it is possible that singers will not need to be present for the entire time blocks indicated, they should reserve them on their personal calendars until more specific information is provided.
- Friday, 10/2 from 3:00-4:45 p.m - Angelus
- Saturday, 10/3 from 5:00-7:15 p.m. - All Choirs
- Tuesday, 10/6 from 5:30-6:15 p.m. - Chamber Choir
- Wednesday, 10/7 from 3:55-5:55 p.m. - Augustana Choir
- Saturday, 10/10 from 5:00-8:45 p.m. - All Choirs
- Friday, 10/16 from 3:00-4:45 p.m. - University Chorale and Augustana Choir
- Saturday, 10/17 from 5:00-6:45 p.m. - All Choirs
- Saturday, 11/8 from 12:00-6:00 p.m. - All Choirs