Welcome Professor Tim Hanna!
The psychology department would like to welcome professor Tim Hanna who will be joining us as a visiting professor during the 2016-2017 school year.
- Dr. Zell on a new manuscript accepted for publication: Zell & Moeller 2017 pre-print
- Professor Hanna and his family on their new arrival
- Dr. Jeppsen and his family on the arrival of their newest family member: James
- Psychology major Jasmin Fosheim, who was named as one of two 2016 Peace Scholars and recently returned from an amazing experience in Norway.
- Our 2016 graduates: Mallory Edwards, Mallory Frantsen, Miriam Hanson, Danielle Bloom, Alison Day, Yaa Offei Darko, Ivy Pearson, Ashley Skorczewski, Maddie Southgate, Lorelei Tinaglia, Jessica Boerner, Julie Nelson, Lauren Yares, Hannah Zylstra, and Katie Grevlos
- Our first group of Psi Chi initiates: Lisa Grevlos, Miriam Hanson, Yaa Offei Darko, Naomi Rust, Maggie Steffen, Natalie Walters, Hannah Zylstra, Ashley Skorczewski, Alison Day, Jessica Boerner, Elizabeth Gadberry, Lauren Yares and Josselyn Martinez
- Our students whose research was presented at the Annual Meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association in Chicago: Lauren Yares, Alison Day, Elizabeth Gadberry, Miriam Hanson, Lorelei Tinaglia, Carolyn Johnson, Misael Garcia and Jacob Kunkel
- Students who presented psychology research at the Arthur Olsen Student Research Symposium: Lorelei Tinaglia, Hannah Zylstra, Jasmin Fosheim, Naomi Rust, Justin Brown, Jessica Boerner, Genevieve Tillotson, Yaa Tiwaa Offei Darko, Lauren Yares, Alison Day, Elizabeth Gadberry, Ashley Skorczewski, and Ivy Pearson
Recent Faculty Publications and Presentations:
- Amstadter, A. B., Berenz, E., C., Nugent, N. R., Trainor, C. D., Koenen, K. C., Vladimirov, V. (in press). Genetics of posttraumatic stress disorder and sleep disturbance. In E Vermetten and T Neylan (Eds.), Sleep and combat-related post-traumatic stress disorder. Springer-Verlag Publishers.
- DeWall, C. N., Zell, A. L., Deckman, T., Gailliot, M. T., & Baumeister, R. F. (in press). Approach and avoidance motivation following childhood social acceptance and rejection. In F. Columbus (Ed.),Psychology of Hate. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers.
Zell, A. L., Exline, J. J., & Lobel, M. (in press). Navigating the perils of outperformance. Chapter to be included in J. Suls, R. L. Collins, & L. Wheeler (Eds.) Social Comparison in Judgment and Behavior. Oxford University Press.
Zell, A. L., & Moeller, L. (in press). Narcissism and “Likes”: Entitlement/Exploitativeness predicts both desire for and dissatisfaction with responses on Facebook. Personality and Individual Differences.
Darowski, E. S., Patson, N. D., & Helder, E. (2016). Implementing a synthesis tutorial to improve student literature reviews. Behavioral & Social Sciences Librarian, 35 (3): 94-108.
- Darowski, E. S., Patson, N. D., & Helder, E. (2016). Improving student literature review through synthesis. Poster presented at the 38th annual meeting of the National Institute for the Teaching of Psychology, St. Pete’s Beach, FL, January 2-5, 2016.
- Yares, L., Day, A., Gadberry, E., & Trainor, C. D. (Februrary, 2016). Perceived control and the relationship between anxiety and sleep difficulties. Poster presented at the 89th annual meeting of the Midwest Psychological Association, Chicago, IL.
- Block, J., Kern, E., Torgersen, J., Helder, E., & Wieth, M. B. (2015 May). Technology use, study breaks, and creativity. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association, Chicago, IL, April 30 – May 2, 2015.
- Burggraff, H. P., Groen, A. J., Helder, E., & Wieth, M. B. (2015 May). Plug into the Online Network, Plug into Creativity. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association, Chicago, IL, April 30 – May 2, 2015.
- Claypool, D., Hults, M., Wander, N. & Trainor, C. D. (May, 2015). The relationship between pre-sleep arousal, anxiety sensitivity, and sleep difficulties. Poster presented at the 87th annual meeting of the Midwest Psychological Association, Chicago, IL.
- Helder, E., Walch,K., & Wieth, M. B. (2015). Sing, O muse, through Google: Internet use boosts creativity when task is known in advance. Poster presented at the 56th annual meeting of the Psychonomic Society, Chicago, IL, November 19-22, 2015.
- Jeppsen, B., Pössel, P., Winkeljohn Black, S., Bjerg, A., & Wooldridge, D. (2015). Closeness and control: exploring the relationship between prayer and mental health. Counseling and Values, 60, 164-182.
- Richardson, G., Hardesty, P. & Jeppsen, B. (2015). Family religiousness and idealization, peer drug use, and psychological functioning: A structural model. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 24(5), 1243-1255.
- Winkeljohn Black, S., Pössel, P., & Jeppsen, B., Tariq, A., & Rosmarin, D.(2015) Poloma and Pendleton’s (1989) prayer types scale in Christian, Jewish, and Muslim praying adults: one scale or a family of scales? Psychology of Religion and Spirituality, 7(3), 205.
- Winkeljohn Black, S., Pössel, P., Jeppsen, B., Bjerg, A. & Wooldridge, D. (2015). The relationship between prayer type and psychological well-being, as mediated by distress disclosure. Journal of Religion and Health, 54, 540-553.
- Blumenthal, H., Leen-Feldner, E. W., Badour, C. L., Trainor, C. D., & Babson, K. B. (2014). Pubertal maturation and cortisol level in response to a novel social environment among female adolescents. Journal of Adolescence, 37, 893-900.
- Buffie, M. L., Anderberg, D. E., Zylstra, H. J., & Helder, E. (2014 May). Improving Name Learning with Distributed Retrieval Practice. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association, Chicago, IL, May 1-3, 2014.
- Froseth, A., Tsang, W. K., Bowar, B., & Trainor, C. D. (February, 2014). The relationship between emotion dysregulation and pre-sleep arousal in sleep difficulties. Poster presented at the 48th annual meeting of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, Philadelphia, PA.
- Lima, O. K., Craft, K. T., & Mydland, K. (2014, May). Ready to read: Preschoolers’ concept of reading and learning to read. Poster presented at the 26th annual meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, Chicago, IL.
- Pössel, P., Winkeljohn Black, S., Bjerg, A., Jeppsen, B., & Wooldridge, D. (2014). Do trust beliefs mediate the associations of frequency of prayer with mental health and well-being? Journal of Religion and Health, 53(3), 904-916
- Trainor, C. D., Wander, D. Claypool, D., Goers, A. & Froseth, A. (February, 2014). The role anxiety sensitivity in sleep difficulties among a sample of young adults. Poster presented at the 48th annual meeting of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, Philadelphia, PA.
- Zell, A. L., & Exline, J. J. (2014). Sparing others through social comparison. In Z. Krizan & F. Gibbons (Eds.), Communal Functions of Social Comparison (pp. 95-118). New York: Cambridge University Press.
Other ways to connect with our department:
- Read our latest newsletter:Department of Psychology Newsletter, Spring 2014
- Find Augustana Psychology on Facebook:
News, events and information for current and future psychology students, as well as our alumni.
- Alumni Survey:The results are in!