Augie Access Program
A Post-Secondary Education Program for Young Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
Augustana invites young adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities to participate in post-secondary educational experiences, thereby improving employment.
- Program Design
- Eligibility Requirements
- Information and Tour Sessions
- Application Process
- Program Contacts
- Admit three to five new students per year
- Provide access to a menu of courses for credit, non-credit, or auditing
- Utilize a Person-Centered Planning process
- Create appropriate supports for students in classroom settings
- Assist students in locating appropriate residential options
- Develop peer support networks (peer navigators)
- Produce on/off-campus work opportunities and internships including job coaching services
- Collaborate with Vocational Rehabilitation Services and Department of Labor and Regulation, Disability Employment Initiative, Department of Education and Division of Developmental Disabilities
- Ages 18-24
- Resident of South Dakota
- Primary goal of employment
- Students must have a documented diagnosis of an Intellectual/Developmental Disability
- Ability to fund tuition and fees (approximately $15,000 per year), housing, and books/supplies — View .pdf of the 2016-17 Program Fees.
- Students must have completed a Vocational/Interest Assessment
- Access to and from Augustana's campus to attend classes and other activities
- Proven ability to participate appropriately in a classroom or professional setting
- IDEA-eligible, formerly IDEA eligible, or entitled to support through other disability services such as VR or DD.
Program tours and information sessions for families and students interested in learning more about the Augie Access program will be held on the following dates and times in 2016:
- Thursday, Sept. 8 — 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 13 — 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 10 — 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Dec. 8 — 3:30-5:00 p.m.
Please email email@example.com or call 605.274.4926 to reserve a spot.
Applications for the 2016-2017 school year are now closed. An Augie Access application (.pdf) will be accepted for Fall 2017 enrollment and is due by Friday, Jan. 13, 2017. The Admission Committee will then notify you when the interview process will begin, and letters informing applicants of the decision will be mailed out approximately two weeks after interviews. A completed application consists of the application form, high school transcript, current IEP, two recommendations, current evaluation documenting disability, transcripts of all previous college work (if applicable), and completed vocational rehabilitation application/intake meeting.
Questions and inquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 605.274.4926.
- Augustana University
- South Dakota Council on Developmental Disabilities
- South Dakota Department of Human Services
- South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation
- South Dakota Department of Education
As the Augie Access Program Coordinator, Jessica Lamb is a grant program coordinator and research assistant. She earned her master's of education with a focus in special education from Grand Canyon University. Jessica came to Augustana from the Aberdeen School District, where she was a special education teacher.
Augie Access Assistant Program Coordinator
Madsen Center #222
Serving as the Assistant Program Coordinator, Catherine Davis has a Bachelor of Science in Education from Northern State University. She comes to us from AXL Academy where she was an English teacher and yearbook advisor.