At Augustana, we're committed to preparing our students for careers and for further study in graduate and professional school by providing distinctive, high-impact hands-on learning opportunities.
As an AU student, you’ll have the opportunity to work across disciplines to personalize your major. From there, you’ll couple what you’re learning inside the classroom with cutting edge internships, research, study abroad, and service programs. In doing so, you’ll earn invaluable hands-on experience and build connections to help you as you create the path to your career. Along the way, you'll have help from:
- Our Student Success Center, a central place for career and academic support services — a hub for educational and vocational engagement.
- Our innovative First Year Experience program, an initiative designed to provide first-year students with orientation events, presentations, lectures and more, helps you maximize your potential as a college student.
- The new Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, building strategic partnerships with industry leaders, business heads and curators of creativity to create impactful and meaningful learning experiences.
- Access to more than 2,000 job and internship listings via our robust database, Augie Opportunities.
Graduate and Professional School
Augustana offers 15 pre-professional programs. Among the Class of 2014, 23 percent of graduates went on to pursue graduate and professional study at institutions around the country including:
- Harvard University
- Yale University
- Columbia University
- Stanford University
- Princeton Theological Seminary
- Baylor University
- Colorado State University
- Creighton University
- University of Wisconsin
- University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine
- Drake University
- Arizona State University
- Luther Seminary
- North Dakota State University
- University of Minnesota
- University of Nebraska
- And others
Augustana's pre-law advisor reports that virtually every self-identified junior pre-law student with at least a 3.2 cumulative grade point average was ultimately admitted to an American Bar Association accredited law school.
“... Much of their success is due to the rigorous standards of the [University]. Augustana students came to law school prepared to study, to work hard, to write, to research, and to be an intellectual and inquisitive student in class. I attribute much of this success to Dr. Peter Schotten, a truly gifted and dedicated pre-law advisor, one of the very finest of his breed in America. He prepares his pre-law charges for what law school has to offer, and sends them to the schools that fit them."
— Lawrence Raful, Dean & Professor of Law
Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center, Touro College, New York
Augustana consistently leads the 26 colleges and universities of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America in the number of seminarians per capita. In addition to Lutheran seminary enrollment, graduates are studying at Presbyterian, Methodist and United Church of Christ seminaries. In recent years, Augustana alumni have enrolled at Harvard, Princeton, Duke, Candler, and Union (NY) Seminaries.