2017 Lee Piano Festival
The 2017 Augustana University Lee Piano Festival is Feb. 2-4, 2017, with auditions for Augustana University ProMusica Piano Scholarship.
A guest artist recital on Friday, Feb. 3, will feature Alfred Mouledous, professor of piano at the Meadows School of the Arts at Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX. Mouledous has served as a member of the SMU faculty for 60 years and served as a pianist for the Dallas Symphony Orchestra from 1960 - 1997.
All events are free and open to all teachers, students, and the general public.
The three-day celebration of the piano takes place in the Humanities building on the Augustana University Campus. Each day presents unique opportunities for learning, listening, and participation to music teachers and piano students, concluding with a day centered on pre-collegiate students, where participation by high school seniors (performance of repertoire) will count as an Augustana University ProMusica audition.
- Festival Schedule
- Workshop, Lessons, MasterClass
- Registration Information
- Keyboard Faculty
- Guest Artist
- Contact for Further Information
Thursday, Feb. 2 A Day for Area Piano Teachers
- 9:00-9:30 Enjoy coffee, and meet and greet guest artist, Alfred Mouledous.
- 10:00-12:00 Alfred Mouledous presentation for area high school students and Sioux Falls music teachers.
- 12:00-1:00 p.m. Luncheon* for Sioux Falls area music teachers.
- 3:00-3:50 p.m. Alfred Mouledous presentation for the Knutson Master Class Series. The public is invited.
- 7:30 p.m. Chamber Music Recital featuring Dr. Shu Li and Marilyn Schemmp along with Eunho Kim, Kaaren Melik-Stepanov.
Friday, Feb. 3 A day for Augustana Music Students
- Mini lessons for Augustana students with Alfred Mouledous.
- 7:30 p.m. Guest Artist Recital featuring Alfred Mouledous featuring works for two pianos, and one piano eight hands with Dr. Rick Andrews. Concert is FREE and the public is invited!
Saturday, Feb. 4 A Day for Pre-Collegiate Students with Augustana Faculty and Augustana ProMusica Audition for High School Seniors **
3:00 onward Lessons with Augustana Piano Faculty — Upon request, high school juniors and seniors may have a private session with one of our faculty.
- All events are free and open to all teachers, students, and the general public.
- *The luncheon for teachers is provided by Augustana University, pending reservation.
- **Open to all pre-collegiate students, grades 8 through 12.
- To reserve for the music teachers luncheon, or to register for the day for pre-collegiate students, contact Dr. Rick Andrews, Director of Keyboard, Augustana University.
A guest artist recital featuring Dr. Alfred Mouledous, concert pianist and professor of piano at Southern Methodist University will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 3.
Mouledous earned a B.M., M.M., Performer's Certificate and Artist Diploma from the Eastman School of Music, where he was a student of Cecile Genhart. Early in his career, he was a Fulbright award winner in Paris, winning a scholarship to Ecole Normale de Musique, where he studied with Alfred Cortot. He was also a scholarship student of Walter Gieseking in Saarbruecken, Germany. Mouledous has performed numerous concerts with major orchestras and has recorded for Mercury and Envoy Records.
If you have any additional questions or comments concerning the Lee Piano Festival, please contact the competition director.
Dr. Rick Andrews
Department of Music
2001 S. Summit Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57197