Augustana’s music ensembles invite all students to participate, whether they are music majors or not. Auditions are held for all major ensembles, and the community is invited to attend our music performances. If you are interested in being a part of one of our many music ensembles, we welcome you!
- The Augustana Band — This 80-piece concert ensemble under the direction of Dr. Bruce Ammann performs in many area venues and at special events, and it tours internationally every four years. During the 2012-13 academic year, Dr. Ammann will be on sabattical. The Band will be directed by Dr. Paul Schilf.
- The Augustana Choir — Its 60 singers bring sacred choral music of the highest caliber to people around the region, nation and world under the direction of Dr. Paul Nesheim.
- The Augustana Orchestra — Under the direction of Dr. Christopher Stanichar, the Orchestra is a valuable training ground for orchestral musicians while producing high quality and exciting musical performances. Their repertoire consists of major works and overtures, as well as traditional, contemporary, and popular literature for the orchestra.
- The Augustana College and Community Orchestra — Student musicians led by the professional Augustana String Quartet join with community members and perform several concerts per year under the direction of Dr. Christopher Stanichar.
- College/Community Band — Over 40 student musicians and 70 community members rehearse weekly to perform several concerts during the year and tour every two years, under the direction of Dr. Paul Schilf.
- Angelus — This 60-member, all-female choir performs joint concerts with the Collegiate Chorale, participates in Christmas Vespers and sings for daily chapel. Dr. Lisa Grevlos conducts Angelus.
- Collegiate Chorale — The 40 voices in this choir present a major concert each year and perform in joint concerts with the Augustana Choir and Angelus. They also perform during the annual Christmas Vespers services. The Chorale is directed by Dr. Russell Svenningsen.
- Chamber Choir — This choir includes selected voices of the Augustana Choir. Dr. Paul Nesheim conducts.
- Opera Theatre Workshop — Scenes and/or full operas are performed during this course offered each semester. Dr. Lisa Grevlos directs.
- Northlanders Jazz Band — Founded in 1953, The Northlanders perform for many campus and community events, as well in the annual Jazz on the Upper Great Plains Festival.
- Augustana Jazz Combo — Selected jazz musicians make up this tight combo that performs on and off campus.
- Jazz Lab — For less experienced jazz musicians, this group introduces students to improvisation and jazz repertoire.
- Brass Choir — This group actively contributes to the campus and community in musical performances and at religious events.
Other Instrumental Programs and Ensembles
- Keyboard Programs
- Clarinet Choir
- College Trombone Choir
- Percussion Ensemble
- Flute Choir
- String Chamber Ensemble
- Saxophone Quartet
- Horn Choir
View the Music Department Handbook to learn graduation requirements for Music majors and requirements for non-Music majors participating in ensembles and studying applied music.