Pro Musica, Pro Dramatis and Pro Artis Detailed Information
Who is eligible for a Performing and Visual Arts Scholarship?
Any new student accepted at Augustana University is eligible to apply for a music, theatre and/or art scholarship. Students can have any academic major and still receive talent scholarships in these areas.
Scholarship Criteria for Maintaining Scholarship
Scholarships are annual allocations and automatically renewable. Criteria for maintaining a scholarship varies from department and is generally a commitment to participate in departmental ensembles, performances or activities. All students must maintain a 2.5 grade point average. Criteria and scholarship amounts as listed here are subject to change.
Steps to applying for a Performing and Visual Arts Scholarship:
- Be admitted to Augustana University. Application available at augie.edu/apply.
- Submit the Performing and Visual Art Scholarship Application. In the application, you will submit video auditions and/or art portfolios. *Some areas may allow for live virtual auditions and/or interviews.
Vocalists and instrumentalists (not keyboard students) must participate in a major ensemble as defined by the university. Ensemble auditions are held in the fall before classes begin. Scholarship awards greater than $2,000 require that the recipient register for applied lessons during the first four semesters of the award which are at an additional cost. View fees for applied lessons here.
Keyboard scholars are required to take lessons every semester for the duration of their scholarship. The cost of these lessons will be supported by scholarship funding for all four years; the lessons will be graded A-F in years one and two; and graded S/U in year three and four. Scholarships over $2,000 may require up to four semesters of accompanying or chamber music when appropriate or available. Scholarship awards greater than $2,000 require that the recipient register for applied lessons during the first four semesters of the award which are at an additional cost. View fees for applied lessons here.
Pro Musica Audition Selection Recommendation
Instrumentalists perform one or two selections. Vocalists sing two selections of contrasting styles. One or both of the pieces may be in a foreign language, but is not required. Selections should demonstrate technique and musicality. The level should be suitable for solo/ensemble contests. The time should be approximately 3-6 minutes.
Students should submit recordings of your audition in the media area of the online application form. Accepted formats for audio include .aac, .aif, .aiff, .iff, .fla, .m4a, .mpa, .mp3, .ra, .wav, .wma. Accepted formats for video include .avi, .flv, .m1v, .m2v, .m4v, .mkv, .mov, .mpeg, .mpg, .mp4, .webm, .wmv. You may also link directly to any media you have uploaded to locations such as Vimeo, YouTube, SoundCloud and Sketchfab.
Criteria for Maintaining Scholarships
Art scholars must assist in the Eide/Dalrymple Gallery for 16 hours each semester. Assigned duties may include assisting to hang and take down gallery exhibits, monitoring the gallery during open hours, assisting with gallery receptions, working on preservation, framing and cataloguing of the permanent collection.
Pro Artis Portfolio Review Recommendations
Students should upload 5-10 works of art in any media representing at least two different media. Students should also submit a typed “Artist Statement” of one or two pages. The statement can address some of the following:
- Description of some of the successes and struggles that you have experienced in creating either your artwork in general or a specific project.
- What inspires you as an artist?
- What does creating art mean to you?
- Do you have a favorite medium? If so, what is it about that medium that attracts you?
Students should submit their portfolio in the media area of the online application form. The portfolio should include digital pictures of 5-10 works of art (jpeg, gif, tiff, bmp, png), a list of the submitted artworks including title, dimensions, medium, year in school that the work was created (e.g., 2019 as a junior), class that the work was created for and an artist statement of at least 300 words addressing the questions listed above.
Criteria for Maintaining Scholarships
Scholars and majors form the core of the Augustana Theatre Company. Theatre scholars must participate in company call one evening per week, assist in the scene and costume shops for four hours each week or hold specific leadership roles to fulfill their scholarship obligations. These roles may include but are not limited to the following: scenic, lighting, sound or costume designer; company manager, shop foreman, master electrician, front of house director.
Pro Dramatis Audition Selection or Portfolio Recommendation
Auditions should consist of two monologues of two minutes or less each of differing styles and tone. Portfolio should consist of photographs of completed designs.
- If you are submitting a portfolio, please include photos of finished designs for sets, lights and/or costumes (jpeg, gif, tiff, bmp, png), and include an explanation of photos that include show name, design area and year in school that the design was done (e.g., 2019 as a junior).
- If you are submitting an audition, accepted formats for audio include .mp3, .wma, .ogg and .flac. Accepted formats for video include .m4v, .mov, .mp4, .wmv, .flv, .asf, .mpeg, .mpg, and .mkv. You may also link directly to any media you have uploaded to Vimeo, YouTube, SoundCloud and Sketchfab.