Outreach Ministry is a unique partnership between Augustana University and congregations. Churches host teams of college students in their parish, collaborating with them to plan and execute worship services and youth events for congregations in South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska. Outreach teams visit churches that are urban and rural, with pastors and without, Lutheran and non-Lutheran, small and large. Through serving a wide variety of settings, students gain leadership skills and learn to nurture faith in others. Congregations receive gifts of energy and enthusiasm from a team of young adults.
Teams go on outings from mid-October through April during weeks when classes are in session. They do not travel during exam weeks or when students are away from campus for breaks. Teams offer two types of outreach to churches:
Youth half lock-ins (approx. 7-11pm) to churches for middle and high school students. Teams come prepared to lead worship, Bible study, games and crafts at the event. They are delighted to get to know youth and share the Gospel.
Worship services that are engaging, thoughtful and upbeat. Teams prepare and lead many pieces of the worship service, coordinating with the pastor and church musicians to pick themes and songs. They come with energy, enthusiasm, and eagerness to share the Gospel.
We ask each congregation to provide:
- A point person to assist with planning in the weeks prior to the event.
- Greetings to the team and orientation to the worship space, the sound system, and/or space for youth activities.
- If hosting a worship team, a primary musician (pianist, organist, praise team) to lead the congregation in singing.
- Commitment that adults will be present for the entire youth lock-in, at least one adult for every 10 young people.
- A donation to support continued outreach and to offset costs.
- Meals and hosts for home stays, depending on distance from Sioux Falls.
- An honest evaluation to help the team’s growth.
Call the Chapel of Reconciliation office at 605.274.5403 to request a visit from an Outreach Ministry team, or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Outreach Ministry Contact:
Rev. Ann Elizabeth Rosendale
2001 S. Summit Ave.
Sioux Falls, SD 57197