We are no longer accepting online early arrival requests. If you need to move in early please contact the Residence Life Office at 605.274.5215 or email us at email@example.com.
General Information about Early Arrival to Campus
We strive to be flexible and understanding so that we can meet every legitimate need for students to check-in to college-owned housing before the official check-in day:
Official move-in days for fall semester 2013:
Freshmen: Sunday, September 1 (Bergsaker and Solberg Halls)
Upperclassmen: Tuesday, September 3
As you consider making a request to move into your fall semester housing assignment early, please be aware that many of our housing facilities have been closed this summer for maintenance work. Still, other college-owned housing continues to be used during the month of August for college-sponsored programs.
We are on schedule to open all residence hall rooms, apartments and theme houses on September 3.
This means that an early arrival request is subject to your housing assignment being ready at the time you would like to check-in and that your request meets the published criteria (see below).
All requests to check-in early are made by submitting an Early Arrival Request Form.
Students who are part of a college-sponsored organization may be approved if the organization is required to be on campus prior to Tuesday, September 3rd. The Residence Life Office will coordinate arrival details with the organization's director, advisor, or coach.
In order to ensure that all students from a group or team are approved, the director, advisor, or coach will be in contact with the summer programs coordinator in the Residence Life Office. For the 2013-2014 academic year, our summer programs coordinator is Tatjana Damjanovic (605.274.5215).
Please review the criteria provided below. Please note that each request will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and the Residence Life Office will contact employers, faculty, and staff to verify requests.
Criteria for Early Arrival approval:
- College Employment — Students required to be on-campus early to start college employment. Please note that your supervisor will verify your employment.
- Academic Program — Students required to be on-campus due to the early start of an academic program (i.e. student teaching, faculty-sponsored research projects, etc.).
- Summer Housing — Students who have been living in College-owned housing during the summer. These students will be transitioned to fall room assignments in mid-to-late August.
If you do not meet the criteria, other circumstances will be carefully considered, but you will likely be assessed a $100 fee. The fee is assessed to cover additional staffing in residence halls and housekeeping services. Fall meal plans will be activated for approved early arrival requests on Sunday, September 1st for the evening meal.
The following requests for early arrival will likely be approved, dependent on availability and with a $100 fee (assessed to your student account).
- Family or personal conflict — For students who themselves or whose families are unable to arrive on opening day due to work or family commitments or are coming from a great distance.
- Non-College employment — Students who are working off-campus and need to be back early for a job.
Please do not make requests for the following reasons:
- Roommate already on campus — Students who are hoping to move in because their roommate(s) has arrived early will not be approved for early arrival. Unauthorized early arrivals will be billed the $100 early arrival fee and may be asked to leave.
- Just want to be back — If there is no legitimate reason for a student to be on campus early, we will not approve an early arrival. Remember that it is logistically very challenging to prepare all rooms, houses, and apartments before official check-in dates.
Fall semester meal plans are NOT activate until Tuesday, September 3, 2013. Approved early arrival requests including new freshmen will have meal plan access beginning with the evening meal on September 1.
Application for Approval
To apply for early arrival, complete an Early Arrival Request Form.
Requests will typically receive a response within 3 to 5 business days. However, some requests take time to sort out, due to conflicts with availability. Be sure to apply as soon as you can, as it is much more challenging to approve requests in the last two weeks of August.
Thank you for your cooperation. We look forward to seeing you all in the fall!
Augustana Residence Life | EMC 119 | Campus Mailbox 724 | firstname.lastname@example.org | 605.274.5215