The information provided below is effective for Fall 2013.
- General Information
- Group Requests
- Individual Requests
- Dining Services
- Sioux Falls Drop-Off Night
Students are strongly encouraged to arrive on Opening Day. All residential communities open on Sunday, September 2, 2013, at 8:00 a.m.
Students hoping to arrive to campus prior to Opening Day must fill out an Early Arrival Request Form. Please be sure to read all of the following information before submitting the form, as there are important guidelines, scheduling, and service information that you are responsible for being aware of when you apply.
We are working to be flexible and understanding where there is legitimate need for an Early Arrival. However, please also be aware that it is logistically very challenging to allow students on-campus prior to Opening Day and that it will require additional staffing and resource needs. This year, in particular, we are working to complete several major construction projects on campus, which includes work being done in our two tower residence halls, Granskou and Stavig. As a result, we will be very limited in the requests we are able to grant and will be working to adhere very closely to the guidelines laid out below.
As always, all requests are subject to the availability of the space you are moving into. If your fall semester space is not ready for you at the time you would like to move in due to construction, summer housing needs, or maintenance and housekeeping concerns, we may not be able to grant your request.
Students who are part of a college-sponsored organization (group or team) may be approved to move into housing early if the organization is required to be on campus prior to Sunday, September 2. In this case, the Residence Life Office will be coordinating arrival details with campus departments, advisors, and coaches.
In order to ensure that all students from a group or team are approved, coaches, advisors, or other group leaders will need to be in contact with our Summer Programs Coordinator in the Residence Life Office. For the 2012-2013 Academic Year, our Summer Programs Coordinator is:
Tatjana will be contacting coaches, advisors, and group leaders we have worked with in the past in early July. However, if you are part of group that has not been contacted, please feel free to get a hold of Tatjana at the contact information listed above.
Students who are not part of a group or team but still have a need for Early Arrival can also apply. Please review the criteria provided below. If you meet these criteria, it is likely that you will be approved for Early Arrival. However, please note that each request will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and the Housing Office will contact employers, faculty, and staff to verify requests.
Criteria for Early Arrival approval:
- College Employment—Students who are required to be on-campus early to start college employment. Please note that your supervisor will verify your employment.
- Academic Program—Students who are required to be on-campus due to the early start of an academic program (i.e. student teaching, faculty research projects, etc.).
- Summer Housing—Students who have been living in campus-owned housing for the previous summer. These students will be transitioned to their fall room assignments in late August.
If you do not meet the criteria above, but still feel that you need to be on-campus prior to Sunday, September 2, you may still apply. The application for Early Arrival may be approved, but you will likely be assessed a $100 fee. The fee is assessed to provide additional staffing in residence halls and housekeeping services.
The following reasons for Early Arrival will likely be approved, depending on rationale provided and availability:
- Family or Personal Conflict—For students who themselves or whose families are unable to arrive on Opening Day due to work or family commitments or are coming from a great distance. If approved, a $100 Early Arrival Fee will be assessed to the student’s account.
- Starting An Off-Campus Job—Students who are working off-campus and need to be back early for a job. If approved, a $100 Early Arrival Fee will be assessed to the student’s account.
Requests made for the following reasons will NOT be approved:
- Roommate Already on Campus—Students who are hoping to move in because their roommate(s) have already been approved to do so will not be approved for early arrival. Unauthorized Early Arrivals will be billed the $100 Early Arrival Fee or may be asked to leave.
- Just Want to Be Back—If there is no legitimate reason for a student to be back on campus early, we will not approve an early arrival. Please remember that it is logistically very challenging to bring students back early, as it puts added strain on limited staff and resources. Unless you have a good reason, please don’t plan to arrive before September 2. Again, unauthorized Early Arrivals will be billed the $100 Early Arrival Fee or may be asked to leave.
Please be aware that fall semester meal plans are NOT activated until Sunday, September 2 for the evening meal. Prior to Sunday evening, you will not be able to use your fall meal plan at any of our on-campus locations.
The Huddle will be open during the week before Opening Day for their normal summer hours (9:00 a.m. to 1:30 pm, Monday through Friday). They accept Viking Buck$, cash, debit or credit cards.
If you and your family are moving in on Sunday, September 2 and are looking for lunch on campus, there will be a cookout provided by Sodexo on the patio in front of the Morrison commons. For $5 per person, you can come and enjoy a great meal outside!
Please note that if you are only worried about dropping items off in your room for the fall, we will host a time during the week before opening when local upperclassmen (2nd, 3rd, and 4th-year students living within about 50 miles of Sioux Falls) can come, drop things off, and even spend a little time setting up their space.
This year, Sioux Falls Drop-Off Night will occur on Wednesday, August 28, 2013, from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. There is no need to apply, simply arrive at your upperclassmen residence hall at that time and start moving items in. Please note that we will not provide you with a key at this time. One of our staff will open your room for you when you arrive and lock it behind you when you leave. We close the buildings promptly at 10 p.m., so make sure you have moved in your belongings by that time!
To apply for Early Arrival, please complete an Early Arrival Request Form. If you are part of a college-sponsored organization (group or team), simply contact your coach, advisor, or group leader for information about Early Arrival.
We will begin to review requests for Early Arrival starting July 1, 2013. Requests will typically receive a response within 3 to 5 business days. However, please note that some request may take time to sort out, as there are challenges due to summer residency or fall camp needs. Be aware that the closer we get to Opening Day, the harder it will be to grant requests. Be sure to apply early!
Thank you for your cooperation. We look forward to seeing you all in the fall!