June 8: "Saturdays at CWS" to Create Your Own Corn Jewelry
"Create Your Own Corn Jewelry" is the topic of the upcoming “Saturdays at CWS” workshop event from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturday, June 8. Hosted by the Center for Western Studies, the workshops are designed to bring additional educational opportunities to the Sioux Falls area.
This class in jewelry-making will be taught by Tara Barney of Red Door Creations. The corn beads Tara uses in her jewelry business, and which the class will work with, are made of corn from the same farm that supplies the Corn Palace in Mitchell, S.D. Choose your color from the following list: yellow, orange, white, brown, black or red. The fee for the kit is $25, which includes corn beads, beading string, size 8 seed beads, enclosures and clasps for you to make your own matching necklace, earring and bracelet set. We will be using small beads, so bring your reading glasses, if needed. Your corn jewelry will wear just like any bead made from natural material such as seeds, wood, ceramic or nuts and will last for many years to come if you care for it properly. Always remove the jewelry before bathing and hang it in a cool, dry place for storage. This class is from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and no jewelry-making experience is necessary. Sign up soon because class size is limited to five students!
To register, contact Kristi Thomas, education assistant for the Center for Western Studies, at 605.274.4007. The Center for Western Studies is located in the Fantle Building at 2121 S. Summit Ave.
- Saturday, July 13: "Digital Photography" workshop will be presented by Gene Smith from 10-11 a.m. at the Center. Originally scheduled for April 13, this event was postponed due to bad weather. This workshops is free, but registration is required; contact Kristi Thomas, education assistant for the Center for Western Studies, at 605.274.4007.
- Saturday, May 11, 2013: "Discuss Native Soul: An Insight into the Artwork of Jerry Fogg" was presented by Yankton Sioux Oyate artist Jerry Fogg, who provided insight and interpretation for selected works from his collection currently on display at the Center through June 1.
- Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013: "Building Your Art Collection" was presented by Kara Dirkson of Artísia Fine Art Services at the “Saturdays at CWS” workshop event from 10-11 a.m. at the Center.
- Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012: "Gathering Family – A Guide to Genealogical Research,” is presented by Dr. Loren H. Amundson, author of "Norwegians, Swedes and More" (6 vols.) The workshop ran from 10-11 a.m. at the Center.
- Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012: "The Writer Inside You,” was presented by David Allan Evans, South Dakota Poet Laureate and author of "The Bull Rider’s Advice" and "After the Swan Dive." The workshop ran from 1-2 p.m. at the Center.
Education Assistant, Center for Western Studies