38th Annual Artists of the Plains Show and Sale
Date: February 16 - February 18, 2018
Times: Friday: 5-9 p.m.; Saturday: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Location: Hilton Garden Inn, 201 E. 8th Street, in downtown Sioux Falls
Ticket Info: Free and open to the public.
The 38th annual Artists of the Plains Art Show & Sale will be held Feb. 16-18 at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Sioux Falls. This event is sponsored by the Center for Western Studies at Augustana University and will feature artwork from more than 25 local and regional artists from five states, including Augustana University students.
The event is free and open to the public. Artists' work will be on display and for sale. Art show attendees will enjoy free underground parking.
- Friday, Feb. 16: 5-9 p.m. (premier showing and reception; awards ceremony will begin at 8 p.m.)
- Saturday, Feb. 17: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Sunday, Feb 18: 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
The Center for Western Studies offers cash awards in the following categories: Two-Dimensional Best of Show ($200 first place and $100 second place) and Three-Dimensional Best of Show ($200 first place and $100 second place).
Artists who have been invited:
- Arnold Bortnem, Sioux Falls, SD
- Bryan Bortnem, Rutland, SD
- Bonnie Brahms, Humboldt, SD
- Virginia Coudron, Brookings, SD
- Peggy Ann Detmers, Rapid City, SD
- Russ Duerksen, Sioux Falls, SD
- Jess Elofson, Brandon, SD
- Jerry Fogg, Sioux Falls, SD
- Denice E. Fox, Sioux Falls, SD
- Deb Gengler-Copple, Hubbard, NE
- Angie Gillespie, Sioux Falls, SD
- Connie Gisi, Webster, SD
- David Harding, Spearfish, SD
- Diana Hensley, Luverne, MN
- Emil Her Many Horses, Washington, DC
- Fritz Hoppe, Rapid City, SD
- David Huebner, Bushnell, SD
- Brad Kringen, Sioux Falls, SD
- Daron W. Krueger, Sioux Falls, SD
- Carol Lundeen, Dassel, MN
- Donald F. Montileaux, Rapid City, SD
- Safet Musinovic, Sioux Falls, SD
- Deb Parks, Sioux Falls, SD
- James Pollock, Pierre, SD
- Cristen J. Roghair, Okaton, SD
- Gary Steinley, Spearfish, SD
- Paul Szabo, Mission, SD
- Sue Thelen, Madison, SD
- Judy Thompson, Orange City, IA
- Sharon Welch, Pierre, SD
- Jennifer White, Sioux Falls, SD
In addition to these artists, several Augustana University art students will be exhibiting and selling their work.
As a signature program of the Center for Western Studies, this show and sale is designed to educate the public about the cultural importance and variety of regional art and artists. The largest and longest running show if its kind in the region, Artists of the Plains is an annual highlight of the Center’s Art Program and Educational Exhibits, one of several programming areas supported by the National Endowment for the Humanities. The event is a gift to the artists and collectors of the Northern Plains.