Augustana Choir to kick off 150th Anniversary of Canton Lutheran Church
Date: November 3, 2018
Times: 4 p.m.
Location: Canton Lutheran Church, Canton SD
In June 1868, covered wagons carrying 23 Norwegian Immigrant families crossed the Big Sioux River and settled in the Canton vicinity. On July 10, 1868, the heads of seven of the families signed papers indicating their intent to establish a Lutheran congregation, and on Oct. 28, 1868, they met in the log home of Tron Lunder to become the charter members of Canton Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church, associated with the Norwegian Synod. This was the first church organized in Lincoln County. The cornerstone for current building was laid in a memorable ceremony in 1908. s. When the church was dedicated in 1910, it was said to be the largest Lutheran church structure west of Minneapolis.
The Augustana Choir, under the direction of Dr. Paul J. Nesheim, will help kick off the 150th celebration weekend for Canton Lutheran Church (Canton, SD) with a concert on Saturday, Nov. 3, at 4 p.m. in the CLC Sanctuary.
Augustana and Canton Lutheran Church enjoy a shared history, as students from Augustana participated in worship at our church while the college was in Canton up until 1918. After the college moved to Sioux Falls, CLC continued to be the church home for Augustana Academy students until the early 1970s. A strong choral program was celebrated by both Augustana College and Augustana Academy. Bringing the Augustana Choir to Canton Lutheran Church is a fitting tribute as we celebrate 150 years!
The program for the concert will include selections from Vivaldi's "Gloria" as well as contemporary pieces and others celebrating our Norwegian heritage. Three current choir members hail from Canton — Jacob Huber, Amy Hurley, and Jacob Toso — all in the Augustana Class of 2020.
A free-will offering will be taken and a dessert reception sponsored by CLC's WELCA will follow the concert.