Postcards from Down Under: The Augustana Bands present Music from Australia
Date: March 28, 2019
Times: 7:30 p.m.
Location: Mary W Sommervold Hall, the Washington Pavilion
Ticket Info: Tickets range in price from $14-$20 and are free for students K-12 and those with a valid Augie ID.Buy Tickets
Augustana Performing and Visual Arts presents The Augustana Bands with special guests the Harrisburg High School Band and the Sioux Falls Christian Low Brass Ensemble on Thursday, March 28 at 7:30 p.m. in the Mary Sommervold Hall at the Washington Pavilion.
The Augustana Band, under the direction of Dr. Christopher Unger, will perform:
- Handel in the Strand- by Percy Grainger
- Impercynations-by Steve Bryant
- Children's March-by Percy Grainger, and
- Into the Sun-by Jodie Blackshaw (Dr. Larry Petersen, guest conductor)
The Augustana Blue & Gold Band, under the direction of Dr. Larry Petersen, will perform:
- Agnus Dei from Mass in E Minor — Anton Bruckner (performed with the Band) - The piece features some of the most lush harmonies and passionate pleas for God’s mercy of all of the settings that have been done of this text. It’s also unusual among repertoire written by the most prominent composers of the last few centuries, in that it combines voices with instruments but the instrumental ensemble does not include strings.
- Swing Low, Sweet Chariot Spiritual, arr. Moses Hogan
- Set Down Servant Spiritual, arr. Robert Shaw
- Evening Prayer Ola Gjeilo (featuring Dr. Brian Hanegan, saxophone)
- Song for Athene — John Tavene
The Harrisburg High School Symphonnic Band, Jason Groon, conductor will perform:
- Into the Clouds – Richard Saucedo
- Unraveling – Andrew Boysen Jr.
- Foundry – John Mackey
- With Quiet Courage – Larry Daehn
- Prestissimo – Karl King
The Sioux Falls Christian Low Brass Ensemble is conducted by Augustana senior Jacob Fenner.