Symphony 'Bridging Cultures' at Hamre Recital Hall
Date: February 1, 2019
Times: 7:30 p.m.
Location: Hamre Recital Hall in the Humanities Building on the campus of Augustana.
Ticket Info: Free and open to the public; a freewill offering may be made to support South Dakota Voices for Peace
Having celebrated cultures through music for more than a decade, the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra has is excited to launch its Bridging Cultures program at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 1, in Hamre Recital Hall.
The Bridging Cultures premier event will serve as the parent program for projects such as the Lakota Music Project.
This program will celebrate diverse cultural groups from Latin America, South Asia and the Philippines. Repertoire will include compositions by Akmal Parwez, Dieter Lehnhoff, German Caceres, Nilo Alcala, and Reena Esmail. Two of these composers, Nilo Alcala and Reena Esmail, will be with us for the concert to discuss their music with our community.
In lieu of admission fees, there will be a freewill donation box to support South Dakota Voices for Peace, who has partnered with us for this incredible program.
PART 1: Latin America
- Dieter Lehnhoff — Tardes de Feria – Danzon
- German Caceres — Octostylus
- Dieter Lehnhoff — Cantares or Llegὀ Pacheco (TBD)
PART 2: South Asia
- Akmal Parwez — Nav Rasa
- — III. Passion, Pain, and Peace
- Reena Esmail — Teen Murti
PART 3: Philippines
- Nilo Alcala — Dancing Delusions
- Nilo Alcala — Dayo Dayo Kupita
This performance is generously sponsored by:
- Sheldon Reese Foundation
- Gilchrist Foundation
- Bush Foundation
- New Music USA
- Goulder Family Foundation
- National Endowment for the Arts
- South Dakota State Arts Council
- 2018 Symphony Gala Individuals