Foreign Language Placement and Oral Test-Out Exams
As a college committed to the liberal arts, demonstrating novice-level proficiency in a language other than English is an important component of Augustana’s core curriculum. Augustana students complete two semesters of a single foreign language or demonstrate equivalent proficiency through on-campus exams, a CLEP test, or previous college credit. We ask that you complete the online placement exam prior to attending your New Student Registration session unless you have met one of the following requirements:
- Have not taken any foreign language courses in high school.
- Plan to take a different language at Augustana than you took in high school.
- Plan to or have taken a CLEP exam in your chosen foreign language.
- Have successfully completed college-level language courses and will present a college transcript.
- Have taken a language other than ASL, French, Latin or Spanish in high school.
If you are an English Language Learner (ELL) you can request to waive Augustana University's language requirement. Please stop by the Registrar's Office upon arrival or contact the Registrar at email@example.com to complete the necessary paperwork. International students are automatically waived from the language requirement.
For students who have taken American Sign Language, placement exams will be offered in person on Thursday, June 24 and Friday, June 25. It is recommended that students have successfully completed at least one year of ASL. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
French, Latin and Spanish
Please take the placement exam within one week of submitting your pre-registration form. Space availability in language courses is limited.
The French, Latin and Spanish placement exams are free, take approximately 20 minutes to complete, and are designed to place students into appropriate level courses. You are not allowed to use a dictionary, online resource, the assistance of a friend or family member, or any other aide while taking the exam; it may skew your score and cause inaccurate placement. Furthermore, any willful misrepresentation of the relation between the work being evaluated and the student’s actual state of knowledge is a violation of the Augustana University Honor Code. Your score, as well as your placement, will show up immediately after you complete the exam. Our Registrar will use your results to place you into the appropriate class.* If you have questions or concerns about your placement, they can be discussed with your advisor during your registration session. The exam covers all language levels; thus, it is unlikely that you will be able to answer all of the questions even if you completed several years of foreign language study in high school. You are allowed to take the placement examination only once; the score you achieve will determine your language placement.
Students who place into a language course level of 210 and higher for Spanish or French and desire to test out of Augustana's language requirement must complete an Oral Test-Out examination in addition to the written placement exam. This 15-minute oral interview is conducted in person, or via video webchat, by a faculty member who will assess students' listening and spoken proficiency.
Steps for completing the exam in Spanish or French:
- Access the online foreign language placement exam
- You will need to create an account on the Language Test site. This account is separate and not connected to your Augustana username and password.
- Select the language placement exam you desire to take
- Enter your Augustana student ID number
- Follow the instructions and click FINISH when you have completed the exam
If you experience any problems while taking the exam, please contact Joni Krueger, Registrar, at email@example.com.
Steps for completing the exam in Latin:
- Access Moodle
- Enter your Username and Password
- Click 'Site home' in the navigation block
- Click the 'Getting Started with Moodle' category link
- Click the 'Latin' link and use the enrollment key 'latintest' to enroll in the course
- Read the instructions and click the 'Latin Placement Exam' link
- Click 'Attempt Quiz Now'
- Answer all questions and click 'Submit all and finish'
If you have any technical questions, contact the Instructional Technologist, Sharon Gray, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 605-670-0185.
Oral Test-Out Exam (French and Spanish)
*Students who place into a FREN or SPAN course level of 210 or higher AND who desire to test out of Augustana's language requirement must successfully complete an Oral Test-Out examination in addition to the written placement exam. This 15-minute oral interview is conducted in person, or via video webchat, by a faculty member who will assess students' listening and spoken proficiency.