Highlights, Special Features, News and Opportunities
Augustana gives business students plenty of opportunities to get involved.
AU business majors have won scholarships from Sales and Marketing Executives of Sioux Falls each year since they began entering the competition in 20 years ago. Most recently Brett Shepley and Christina Demissie each won $1,000 for their sales abilities in the statewide college competition. They followed in the footsteps of Katie Connor, who previously won $2,000 for her coffeeshop concept, and Sam Williams, who won $1,500 for his dessert restaurant concept.
- The first students enrolled in Augustana University’s Master of Professional Accountancy (MPA) program graduated in 2018. The degree program was developed for students who are interested in a career in public or private accounting. It is especially appropriate for those who wish to sit for the Certified Public Accountant exam. The CPA exam requires 150 college credits, plus specific accounting courses that this advanced degree program is designed to deliver. Since it was launched in 2015, 20 students have completed the MPA.
- Marketing promotions students consulted with the owner and retail residents of Jones421 on a branding project. Students worked in teams to develop a collective website, social media campaign and events to bring shoppers into the building and prepare retailers at 421 N. Phillips Ave., to take advantage of the location near the Levitt at the Falls amphitheater.
Healthcare marketing students blog about working with Sanford Health mentors. On-the-job realities cemented what students were learning in class, and assisted them in making decisions about their career paths. Students found great benefit in discovering mentors, and mentors found great delight in guiding eager students in the evolving world of healthcare.
Augustana University students have consistently won many prestigious outside scholarships, including the Spirit of Sioux Falls Award, South Dakota CPA Society Schoarships, and the Sale and Marketing Executives International scholarship competition.
The department faculty annually nominate students as recipients of a number of designated scholarships:
- Marlin W. Berkland Scholarship
- Business Administration and Accounting Scholarship
- Eric Delman Business Scholarship
- Paul and Lois Eggers Scholarship
- Harry O. & Ruth C. Eidsness Scholarship
- Elmen Family Business Scholarship
- Ron & Stephany Halverson Scholarship
- Jill Lerdal Memorial Scholarship
- Elliot Thoreson Scholarship
- Alvin E. and Jean C. Tuohino Scholarship
Augustana Business Club
This student-lead organization works with local professionals to develop management and leadership skills as well as networking contacts. Connect with the Augustana Business Club on social media.