CATV - Cable TV at Augustana
Basic Cable TV is available in ON CAMPUS Residence Hall Rooms, Summit Apartments. and Costello Hall on a subscription basis through Augustana College. To subscrbe, call Residence Life @ 605-274-5215 or sign up in your residence life packet.
Theme Houses, Duluth Apartments, and Schoeneman and Norse Inn are on Midco's infrastructure, not Augustana's, and will need to contact Midco to contract individually and directly for servcie (outside of Augustana's billing system). Mulitple leves of service are available off campus directly through Midco. Contact MIdco Customer Service for these indepent subscriptions, (800)888-1300. Tell Midco you are in a Theme House were Internet is provided by Augustana, but you need to subscribe through them for the Cable TV service.
Basic Cable TV ON CAMPUS Subscriptions through Augustana Housing
Once you are subscribed, to set up your TV, follow these Setup Guidelines:
- Connect the Cable to your TV's Cable Inut jack
- This is usually the LOWER of the two cable jacks in your room
- You will need a standard F type CaTV coaxial patch cable. A 25 foot cable should reach most places in your room.
- Bring up the Menu on your TV and set the following:
- Set the antenna type to CATV (not off-air)
- Select the option on your TV to auto-tune the channels or scan for channels (see your owners manual for details)
- Augustana's Cable TV is a combination of analog and digital channels
- Most of the channels should be digital .5 or -5. For example 11-5
- You MUST have a Digital TV tuner on your TV for Cable to work
- Most HD or digital TVs sold after 2006 have an internal digital QAM tuner
- If the TV remote has a dot (.) or dash (-) , the TV probably has a internal digital QAM tuner. Check your manual for scanning or manual channel instructions. If you no longer have the owner's manual, you may find it on the TV manufacturer's website.
- Augustana does not provide tuners - if your TV's doesn't work you'll need a better TV
Channel Linups -
Click this link for Augustana College/Midco Basic Cable Channels
Upgrading to Video Bundles - DVR, HD, Preimium Channels:
You may be able to upgrade to a Midco package by contacting MIdco Customer Service, (800)888-1300. At this time we are not certain this will work after Spring 2016.
- You must be subscribed to Augustana's Cable Serivce through Residence life and paying the semesterly fee.
- Tell Midco you are an Augustana Resident and you are subscribed and paying for the Basic Serivce through Augustana.
- Midco will calculate your Midco cost of the package (Midco Package cost minus Midco's Basic Service fee, currently $49.95)
- Click this line for Current Cable Packages
- Midco will have you pick up a Cable TV Box/DVR/etc at their service location.
- Connect this device to your room's active Cable TV jack, and then to your TV.
- Midco will bill you monthly for the extra service, Augustana will bill you semesterly for the Basic portion.
Problems with your CATV?
Q. I don't get the -5 digital channels.
A. You will need a digital tuner on your TV to get these channels. See Setup Guidelines above.
Q. I don't get sound on some channels?
A. There is an MTS setting on some TV's. Sometimes it is a button that gets pushed, sometines it's in the menu. MTS means Multichannel Television Sound and allows multiple languages. Most of the time, only the English channel is used and the others are silent. Be sure your MTS is set to english.
If need further assistance, you may contact Residence Life, or the Computer Help Desk (605-274-5331).