Spring Classes Delayed Due to Weather Conditions
Due to weather conditions in the surrounding area, Augustana College will delay the start of spring semester classes one day. Classes were to start on Wednesday, Feb. 2, but will now start on Thursday, Feb. 3. The regular class schedule will be in effect on Thursday, Feb. 3.
As of mid-day on Monday, Jan. 31, the Sioux Falls area was placed under a winter weather advisory until 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 1.
Winter driving conditions will be affected by snow accumulations (up to 10 inches in some areas), strong winds and severe wind chills.
The College urges everyone who must travel to use caution when driving during winter weather; the College understands that you are the best person to make a decision about your safety—when and where you are.
Following are some helpful tips, as we want everyone's travel to be safe.
- Call ahead for road conditions. Within your own state, you can dial "511," which is free and simple to use. Just dial "511" from any phone or use the below numbers for out-of-state information.
-- SD Road Conditions ... 1.866.697.3511
-- MN Road Conditions ... 1.800.542.0220
-- IA Road Conditions ... 1.800.288.1047
-- NE Road Conditions ... 1.402.471.4533
-- ND Road Conditions ... 1.866.696.3511
Or you can check road conditions online at http://safetravelsusa.com
- Put some extra clothing and emergency items in your vehicle.
- Check the air pressure in your tires.
- Slow down.
- Keep your headlights and taillights clean.
- Road surfaces vary—and so will the time it takes for ice to build up.
- Skip the cruise control; your cruise control may accelerate when you least want it to do so.
- If you are stranded, stay with your car. If you run your car, make certain the exhaust pipe is not obstructed.
The basic tips for winter weather travel are to take your time and plan ahead.
Director of Communications & Media Relations