J-Term Takes Students to 14 Countries
Monday, January 2, 2012
Ninety-three Augustana students will spend the month of January immersed in 14 countries throughout four continents for an intense, first-hand study of history, language and culture.
These real-world courses, which run from January 3-26, are part of Augustana’s January Interim, a four-week session designed for curricular exploration and enrichment. Dubbed J-Term, the session gives students the opportunity to study abroad and partake in internships, special one-time topic courses and campus exchange programs.
The 93 students now overseas were placed through the Upper Midwest Association for Intercultural Education (UMAIE), various Augustana programs and independent study. The students are studying in Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, England, France, Germany, Greece, India, Israel, Italy, New Zealand, Spain, Switzerland and Turkey.
"At Augustana, our students understand that in order to compete in a global economy, they must experience different parts of the globe firsthand. So, we encourage them to Go Viking – to take the risk to go, explore, discover and learn about foreign places, different cultures and ancient histories in order to approach their futures with new perspectives,” said Rob Oliver, president.
“Mark Twain once said ‘…throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.’ Through our partnerships with countless organizations around the globe and, thanks to our passionate Augustana faculty members who lead courses abroad and encourage students to consider such experiences, we’re working to make certain our students do just that.”
The following Augustana faculty members are teaching J-Term courses abroad:
- Sam Ogdie, instructor of modern foreign languages: “Chile 2012: Land of Contrasts”
- Muriel Larson, professor emerita of Nursing: “The Greek Connection: Embracing Transcultural Caring in Ancient and Modern Greece”
- Dr. Dan Howard, assistant professor of biology: “Explorations in Aotearoa I: The Biogeography and Culture of the New Zealand North Island”
- Dr. Sandra Looney, professor of English, and Dr. John Pennington, professor of Music: “Dharma: Life, Religion and Music in Contemporary India”
- Scott Parsons, associate professor of art: “The Sacred in Stained Glass Art - History and Practice (France and Germany)”
- Vickie Reiff, assistant professor of nursing: “Leadership in Professional Nursing (Ecuador)”
International Travel Beyond J-Term
In addition to Augustana’s J-Term, 17 students will spend the entire spring semester studying in 10 different countries (England, Australia, Germany, Kenya, New Zealand, Korea, Spain, Chile, Czech Republic and the Dominican Republic) and 54 students will partake in five, one-week courses led by Augustana faculty members in Spain, Greece, Guatemala, Scotland and Ireland over spring break.