Augustana Theatre to Present Musical 'Zombie Prom'
The Augustana Theatre Department will present the musical "Zombie Prom" March 1-3 and 8-10. Curtain time is 7:30 p.m. in the Edith Mortenson Center Theatre.
This student-designed production brings the "fabulous fifties" back to life — and a few other things that should have stayed dead. The show, by John Dempsey and Dana P. Rowe, tells the story of teenage love gone wrong.
Zombie Prom opens with Toffee, a sweet teenage girl, and her “rebel without a cause” boyfriend, Jonny. The two meet and fall in love at Enrico Fermi High School, but the principal, Miss Strict, intervenes, persuading Toffee to break up with Jonny. Tortured by the betrayal, Jonny flings himself into the nuclear reactor at the nearby nuclear power plant. Guilt-ridden and alone, Toffee mourns the loss of her love, until one day, Jonny returns — as a teenage nuclear zombie! When Miss Strict refuses to allow “zombie scum” in her fine institution, word reaches Eddie Flagrante, a slick sensationalist magazine reporter who shines a spotlight on the “Zombie Civil Rights” violation! Will Toffee take Jonny back? Will Miss Strict let Jonny come back and finish school, or will she cancel the Senior Prom, the most important night in the lives of the students of Enrico Fermi High? This off-Broadway hit is sure to be fun for the whole nuclear family!
"Zombie Prom" is completely designed, produced and performed by students under the supervision of RJ Fitzsimmons, Jennifer Shouse-Klassen and Dr. Scott Johnson. The cast and crew includes:
- Miranda Nelson '13 as Toffee
- Gentry Pletts '13 as Jonny Warner
- Callie Berg '12 as Miss Delilah Strict
- Bryan Okerlund '13 as Eddie Flagrante
- Teresa Preuss '15 as Candy/Mother/Secretary/Make-Up Lady
- Elizabeth Yackel-Juleen '12 as Ginger/Secretary/Ramona Merengue
- Megan McDonald '13 as Coco/Sheila/Stage Manager
- Matt Stoffel '15 as Josh/Motorwise Gasoline Guy
- Travis Clark '15 as Jake/Copy Boy/Motorwise Gasoline Guy
- Grant Hooyer '12 as Joey/Father/Copy Boy/Motorwise Gasoline Guy
- Justin Duffield '12, technical director and stage manager
- Jenna Hyde '15, assistant stage manager
- Josh Thies '13, assistant director and scenic designer
- Logan Enze '13, musical director
- Aimee Knutson '12, costume and makeup designer
- Evan Livermore '13, lighting designer
- Katelynn Kenney '13, sound designer
Mariya Swella '13, choreographer
Tickets are $12 for adults, $8 for seniors and K-12 students with identification and are free for Augustana students and faculty. Tickets are available at www.augietickets.com.