Trombone Choir to Perform at National Music Workshop
The Augustana College and Community Trombone Choir, under the direction of Vance Shoemaker, has been selected via audition to perform in concert at the Eastern Trombone Workshop (ETW) March 21-24 in historic Fort Myer, Va., across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C.
The event will mark the second time the Augustana College and Community Trombone Choir has been awarded this honor. Their last appearance was in March 2002.
Hosted and sponsored by the U.S. Army Band, the ETW is the only professionally organized and staffed trombone workshop and/or conference in the United States. Soloists, educators, and students, as well as university and collegiate trombone ensembles from around the world, attend and/or perform at this annual prestigious workshop.
The ETW hosts a number of solo and ensemble competitions for performers of all ages. More than 1,000 students, professional trombonists and college ensembles have submitted tapes for the various competitions and performance invitations to this prestigious workshop since 1993. All events are open and free to the public during this four-day workshop. Activities include recitals, clinics and lectures by leading artists in the world, and also concert performances by college trombone ensembles.
In 1978, John Marcellus, former principal trombonist with the National Symphony Orchestra, along with John Melick, former trombone instructor at Towson State University, and also principal trombonist in the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, founded the Eastern Trombone Workshop at Towson State University in Baltimore, Maryland. In 1981, the workshop moved to Florida State University, under the direction of trombone instructor William Cramer. The U.S. Navy Band took control of the Workshop in 1986, thus bringing the event to the Washington D.C. area. In 1993, U.S. Army Band principal trombonist and Augustana graduate, Scott Shelsta, with the support of Colonel Bryan Shelburn, the U.S. ARMY BAND Commander, provided leadership for the ETW.
The 16-member Augustana College Trombone Choir will perform in concert on Thursday, March 22. Members include:
- Luke Benjamin ’13, Minnetonka, Minn.
- Joel Broveleit, Community Member
- Jeff Burwitz ’12, Le Mars, Iowa
- Catie Carney ’13, Tipton Iowa
- Andrea Feige ’12, Sioux Falls
- Matt Garred ’13, Whiting, Iowa
- Matt Halse ’12, Rock Rapids, Iowa
- Quinn Jacobs ’15, Rochester, Minn.
- Austin Mielke ‘14, Brandon, S.D.
- Thomas Norland, Community Member
- Alexis Preheim ‘13, Chamberlain, S.D.
- Jason Roseth ’12, Watertown, S.D.
- Amanda Schnepel-Brandon, Community Member
- Nathanael Thompson ’15, Sioux Falls
- Emily Wehde ’15, Sioux Falls
- Ally Wingert ’12, Sioux Falls