Verdier 2012 to Celebrate Values; to Feature Panel Discussions, Quiz Bowl, Covenant Award Ceremony
Verdier 2012, the week-long celebration marking the 10th anniversary of the Covenant Award, the honor recognizing students who exemplify the College's five core values: Christian, Liberal Arts, Excellence, Community and Service, will be held April 16-20.
Throughout the week, the College will highlight service projects by Augustana students, faculty and alumni and the campus community will participate in panel discussions, a quiz bowl, the presentation of the 2012 Covenant Awards and more.
“We believe ‘Verdier’ is indeed a fitting name for this celebration. In Norwegian, its translation is "values; the moral principles and beliefs or accepted standards of a person or community,” said Dr. Jim Bies, Vice President for Student Services and Dean of Students. “Verdier 2012 will celebrate the morals and ethics that have guided this institution and our students since 1860."
One of the College’s core values will be celebrated each day during the week-long celebration. Verdier 2012 events include:
Monday, April 16: A Celebration of Christian Faith
10 a.m.: Major announcement by College officials in the Chapel of Reconciliation.
- 3 p.m.: Panel discussion on “Nontraditional Ministry” featuring Brian Hansen, State Director for the South Dakota Fellowship of Christian Athletes; Alan Greene, CEO & Founder of LifeLight Communications, the organization behind the annual LifeLight Music Festival; and Jessica Berg, Augustana class of 2003. Currently pursuing her Master’s degree in Christian Leadership at Sioux Falls Seminary, Berg has spent time directing youth for a joint ministry between two different Lutheran Churches in Shakopee, Minn. The discussion will be held in the Siverson Lounge.
Tuesday, April 17: A Celebration of Excellence
- 7 p.m.: Student-Faculty Quiz Bowl in the Back Alley.
Wednesday, April 18: A Celebration of the Liberal Arts
10:30 – 10:50 a.m.: In celebration of the liberal arts, a harpist will perform in the lobby of the Gilbert Science Center; the Augustana Chemistry Club will conduct experiments in the rotunda of the Madsen Center; and the Augustana String Quartet will perform in the atrium of the Humanities Building.
3 p.m.: “Fast-Five” presentations on the “Power of a Liberal Arts Education” featuring Augustana faculty, administrators and staff in the Siverson Lounge. Participants will have five minutes to state their case on why a liberal arts education matters and what their liberal arts education means to them.
7:30 p.m.: Augustana Percussion Ensemble Recital in Kresge Recital Hall.
- 9 p.m.: All-Star Performance by the Augustana Brand Name Improv in the Back Alley.
Thursday, April 19: A Celebration of Community
- 10 a.m.: Gather your hall-mates, friends and colleagues and head to the Campus Green at 10 a.m. sharp for an all-campus aerial photo. Let's see if we can set the World Record for the most-ever bodies in the formation of an "A-C." The goal is for all students, faculty and staff to be included. Cookies and lemonade will be served on the Siverson patio following the photo.
Friday, April 20: A Celebration of Service
11 a.m.: Meals for Vets: Augustana students can donate a portion of their meal plan to provide lunch for a veteran of the U.S. armed services. Veterans from the Veteran’s Administration Hospital in Sioux Falls will arrive on campus beginning at 11 a.m. and will join students for lunch in the 3-in-1 room inside Morrison Commons. In addition, the 3-in-1 room will feature stationery and letter-writing stations for students to write letters to servicemen and women overseas.
3-5 p.m.: Reading Adventure: Augustana students will spend time reading to elementary school students in various after-school programs throughout Sioux Falls.
- 7:30 p.m.: Covenant Awards Program, Our Savior's Lutheran Church: Join past Covenant Award honorees and celebrate the 2012 Covenant Award ambassadors and honorees. Entertainment provided by faculty, students, and staff. Reception to follow.