19 Students Join Mathematics Honor Society
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Earlier this month, 19 Augustana students and six current and former faculty members formed the inaugural class of the South Dakota Delta chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon, the National Mathematics Honorary Society. Pi Mu Epsilon is dedicated to the promotion of mathematics and recognition of students who successfully pursue mathematical understanding.
Dr. John A. Frohliger, associate professor of Mathematics at St. Norbert College and a Pi Mu Epsilon councilor, presided over the induction ceremonies.
“The founding of this new honorary chapter highlights the student-centered nature of the mathematics experience here at Augustana and points out the number of outstanding mathematics students we enjoy," said Dr. Eric Wells, interim chair of the Mathematics Department. “We look forward to welcoming many more students into this group in the coming years.”
For induction into Pi Mu Epsilon, undergraduate students must complete at least the equivalent of two semesters of calculus and two additional courses in mathematics, at or above the calculus level, all of which lead to the fulfillment of the requirements for a major in the mathematical sciences. In addition, such students must have maintained a grade point average equivalent to that of at least 3.0 on a 4 point scale, both for all courses that lead to fulfillment of requirements for a major in the mathematical sciences, and also for all courses that lead to fulfillment of requirements for an undergraduate degree.
The following students were inducted:
- Benjamin Albrecht, Fargo, N.D.
- Taylor Allis, Wells, Minn.
- Brett Anderson, Sioux Falls
- Joseph Bernstein, White Bear Lake, Minn.
- Audrey Burkart, Monument, Colo.
- Daniel Elmer, Wells, Minn.
- Sebastian Forbush, Hollister, Calif.
- Clinton Freiheit, Hayfield, Minn.
- Daniel Fry, Pierre, S.D.
- Luke Hannemann, Sioux Falls
- Lydia Hanson, Andover, Minn.
- Kathryn Jesperson, Elk River, Minn.
- Molly Leland, Alexandria, Minn.
- Leif Nomeland, Chamberlain, S.D.
- Bryan Okerland, Sauk Centre, Minn.
- Alexis Preheim, Chamberlain, S.D.
- LeAnn Severson, Brandon, S.D.
- Alex Warnke, Ida Grove, Iowa
- Erika Zetterlund, Saint Cloud, Minn.
In addition, Dr. Martha Gregg, Dr. Emil Knapp, Dr. Verlyn Lindell, Dr. Curtis Olson, Dr. Jay R. Smith and Dr. Timothy Sorenson were inducted as faculty members.