CANCELED: The Augustana Choir Prepares for Spring Break Tour
Augustana regretfully announces that, due to the impending storms affecting our region, the 2019 Tour of the Augustana Choir has been canceled.
Members of The Augustana Choir had been preparing for a brief performance tour of the Midwest during Spring Break.
The focus of the 2019 Tour was to have been “Masterworks of the Sacred European Tradition.” The Choir prepared pieces by Bach, Mendelssohn, Grieg and Vivaldi, with a set of contemporary pieces, as well.
The Augustana Choir, under the direction of Guest Conductor Dr. Steve Grives, was set to perform in the Twin Cities, Urbandale, IA and Sioux City. A home concert will still be held on Sunday, March 24, at Our Savior's Lutheran Church in Sioux Falls.
- Saturday, March 9 – 7:30 p.m. at Westwood Lutheran Church, St. Louis Park, Minnesota
- Sunday, March 10 – 8:45 a.m. at Westwood Lutheran Church, St. Louis Park, Minnesota
- Sunday, March 10 – 3 p.m. at Augustana Lutheran Church, West Saint Paul, Minnesota
- Sunday, March 10 – 7:00 p.m. at St. Philip's Lutheran Church, Hastings, Minnesota
- Monday, March 11 – 7 p.m. at St. Stephen Lutheran Church, Urbandale, Iowa Prior to the concert, Augustana alumni and friends are invited to join us for a special happy hour at The Urban Grill from 5-6:30 p.m.. Come enjoy appetizers, a cash bar and a chance to win some AU give-aways.
- Tuesday, March 12 – 7 p.m. at Morningside Lutheran Church, Sioux City, Iowa Prior to the concert, Augustana Alumni and friends are invited to join us for a special happy hour at Sneaky's Chicken. Come enjoy appetizers, a cash bar and a chance to win some AU give-aways.
- Sunday, March 24 – 3 p.m. at the Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Sioux Falls
All concerts are free and open to the public (with a free-will offering accepted), with the exception of the Sunday, March 24, concert, for which tickets are required. Purchase tickets for this concert at www.augietickets.com.
About the Conductor
Dr. Steve Grives has been named as the sabattical replacement for Dr. Paul Nesheim, Director of The Augustana Choir, for the Spring 2019 semester at Augustana University. A native of New York, Dr. Grives earned the DMA in Choral Literature and Performance from the University of Colorado, an MM in Choral Conducting from the University of Maine, and a BA in Music from Bowdoin College.
Prior to coming to Augustana, Dr. Grives served as director of choral activities at South Dakota State University (2003-12) and as a visiting professor the University of Nebraska/Lincoln (2017), Loras College (2015-16), North Central College (2015) and at DePaul University (2012-14). In addition to his work in academia, Dr. Grives conducted church and community choirs in Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and South Dakota. Currently, he is the choir director at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Dr. Grives serves on the editorial board of Choral Journal and has just completed his term as Music and Worship Chair for North Central ACDA. His articles have been published in Choral Journal and the International Choral Bulletin, and he has presented interest and reading sessions at state, regional, and national ACDA conferences. He is active as a guest conductor, clinician, and adjudicator across the Midwest.