Student Emergency Fund
The Student Emergency Fund provides limited emergency financial support to currently enrolled students who are unable to meet essential expenses due to a temporary or unexpected hardship. Average award amounts range from $25 to $500 per student and are typically only awarded once. Decisions regarding disbursement of funds are made on a case-by-case basis. Awards are not considered loans and do not require repayment. Some funds may be considered income and are therefore subject to federal taxes.
Types of Expenses Considered
Examples of expenses considered for funding include, but are not limited to:
- Medication / Prescription expenses
- Food groceries / Child care
- Books, fees, or other school related expenses
- Replacement of belongings lost in a fire or natural disaster
- Safety related needs (i.e. changing locks, short term emergency shelter)
- Travel cost related to a death or illness in the immediate family
Expenses Not Covered
(this list is not exhaustive):
- Tuition, fees, health insurance, and study abroad costs.
- Non-essential utilities (i.e. cable), household, or furniture costs not related to damage or theft.
- Regularly anticipated fixed expenses (i.e. rent).
- Parking tickets.
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel or other non-essential expenses.
- Other anticipated expenses.
Students seeking financial assistance should be currently enrolled and able to provide documentation of their financial hardship. Students seeking assistance during summer sessions and are not enrolled but are registered for semester courses may qualify for alternative forms of assistance.
- Financial Aid Office — Apply for emergency tuition and cash loans.
- 2-1-1 — For a comprehensive list of financial and support services offered by the City of Sioux Falls Helpline Center.
The Student Emergency Fund is made possible through the generous donations of Augustana Parents, Alumni, Faculty and Staff.