Daily Campus Update — March 27
Augustana University is closely monitoring the evolving COVID-19 situation. As of Friday, March 27, here are the latest things to know:
- Global and Local Outlook: As of Friday, March 27, the South Dakota Department of Health (SD-DOH) has reported 58 cases of COVID-19. Eighteen cases have been reported in Minnehaha County and two in Lincoln County with community spread. Based on this information, the Sioux Falls Board of Health passed an ordinance that has since been unanimously reaffirmed by the Sioux Falls City Council, restricting gatherings to 10 or fewer at many establishments within city limits for two weeks.
- S/U Grading Options for Spring 2020: Students have the option of declaring one or more of their courses as Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grades. The deadline for indicating the courses they want to designate S/U is Monday, April 20. (Note: students may elect NOT to take any courses S/U.) PLEASE do NOT submit an S/U form until you receive instructions on how to do so. The mechanism for students to declare which courses they want to keep letter graded and which to convert to S/U grading is currently being developed. Information on this process has been sent to students and is outlined by Dr. Colin Irvine at augie.edu/satisfactory.
- Housing Update: Campus Life sent an email the evening of Thursday, March 26, to students in on-campus housing outlining the specific procedures for move-out. The procedures are also detailed on the Spring Semester Move-Out web page.
- Only students in the most extenuating circumstances will be allowed to remain in on-campus housing. Campus Life and International Programs Office staff will be contacting students who are already approved to be on campus between now and Friday, April 3, to discuss housing plans and needs.
- Students coming from an area currently under a “stay-at-home” or “shelter-in-place” mandate should refrain from coming to campus. We will work with you to identify a date and time once those expectations are lifted to return to campus and retrieve your things. Campus Life will contact the students affected during the week of April 6. In the meantime, belongings will remain safely locked in their room awaiting their return.
- Updated Building Hours and Services: Faculty, staff and students will find information regarding adjusted hours and access for a number of locations on campus that are still staffed and available for use at augie.edu/hours.
- The Elmen Center will be open each weekday from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. and closed on the weekends. The pool will be closed the week of March 30. The weight room will be open each weekday from 12-2 p.m. Swipe your Augie ID on the east main doors and parking lot door. The facility will only be accessible to faculty and staff as well as students who have been approved to live in on-campus student housing. Family members and friends are not allowed to use the facility.
- Take a moment to check out the Campus Ministry Reflections blog. Senior students who had planned to give their senior sermon during these last months of spring semester, will be writing a reflection that will be posted every Friday. In addition, faculty, staff and administrators will be offering reflections in this online space. Find other ways to connect with the Augustana community through Campus Ministry, at augie.edu/worship.
Should you have any questions regarding the coronavirus or need to update the risk-assessment team on campus-related matters or events, please send a message to email@example.com. Please continue to check for updates and more information on the Augustana coronavirus webpage at augie.edu/coronavirus.