Viking Days Student Events
Students: Mark your calendars for Viking Days 2015 events, October 8-18!
Wednesday, Oct. 8:
- 7-9 p.m. Freshmen Cookie Decorating Social: Solberg and Berksaker.
The candidates for king and queen will also be there to provide a meet-and-greet so the freshmen have a better idea of who they are voting for.
- 5 - 9:30 p.m. Ole Stock and Coronation, Elmen Center.
At the start of the Viking Days week, we love celebrating with an Ole Stock dinner with alumni, staff, faculty, and family at the Augustana Elmen Center. Following the dinner will be coronation of Viking Days King and Queen and then fireworks on the Campus Green.
- 8 p.m. Burning of the "A" and bonfire, Campus Green.
The Burning of the "A" is a tradition that has been going on for many Viking Days years. Enjoy a bonfire with treats out on the Green!
- 9-10 p.m. Movie Night, Back Alley.
After the Burning of the "A," we will be hosting "Remember the Titans" movie in the Back Alley.
- 6:30 p.m. Flag Football Tournament, Elmen Center.
- 7 p.m. National Poet Brian Turner, Kresge Recital Hall.
Poet and author Brian Turner will read from his book, "My Life as a Foreign Country: A Memoir," which talks about his deployment in Iraq and what it means to come home from war. A booksigning will follow. The event is free and open to the public.
- 7:30 p.m. Viking Days Extravaganza, Elmen Center.
- 4 - 7 p.m. Float building under the tent, Commons Circle across from Humanities.
Come and decorate your organization's float for the parade on Saturday morning. Make sure to get everyone from your organization together for building because there will be prizes given away to the best float.
- 3 p.m. Rendezvous on Saudi Arabia, Back Alley.
Rendezvous presentation: Students present on their home countries at 3 p.m. on Fridays in the Back Alley. Hosted by the International Program Office and Augustana International Club, this event is free and open to the public.
- 7 p.m. Gallery Reception and Artist's Talk: 7 p.m., Atrium, Center for Visual Arts. Alumna Bridget Beck '00 will talk about her series of playful, large-scale interactive sculptures, which she creates through welding steel and assembling cast-off materials. Reception begins at 7 p.m. with the artist's talk at 7:30 p.m.
- 10 p.m. - 1 a.m. Throwback Time Machine Dance Party, Back Alley.
The Throwback Time Machine is "the craziest video dance party this side of the 21st Century," with original video, a huge dose of on-stage audience interaction, dance-offs, stage-props galore and the odd impromptu communal karaoke session (complete with words on the screens for the forgetful!).
- 9 a.m. Langskip 5K.
Race begins at 9 a.m., starting at 29th Street and Summit Avenue. Proceeds benefit Augiethon (formerly Augustana Dance Marathon), Sanford Children's Hospital and Children's Miracle Network. Registration is $25.
- 9:30 a.m. Viking Days Pancake Feed, Commons Drive and Grange Avenue.
Come to the parade ready to eat pancakes and see faculty members (our guest pancake flippers!) from the Performing and Visual Arts departments. This is a fundraiser to benefit the PVA. Tickets will be available at the event; $7/$5 for kids.
- 10:30 a.m. Homecoming Parade, University Place to 33rd Street on Grange Avenue.
One of the highlights of the week, the parade route will be on Grange from University Place (formerly 28th Street) to 33rd Street.
- 11:30 a.m. Tailgating at Viking Village.
Following the Parade, come on over to Viking Village to enjoy tailgating before the Homecoming game. Located behind the Kirkby Stadium.
- 1 p.m. Viking Days Football vs. Wayne State, Kirkeby-Over Stadium.
- 7 p.m. "Mind Games" by Jared Sherlock, Kresge Recital Hall.
An interactive comedy hypnosis show.
Sunday, Oct. 18:
- 10 - 11:30 a.m. Viking Days Worship, Elmen Center.
Wrap up the 2015 Viking Days experience by coming to worship at the Augustana Elmen Center with alumni, staff, and other students.
- 11:30 a.m. Viking Days Brunch, Ordal Dining Room, Morrison Commons.
Tickets available at the door.
- 1 p.m. Augustana Soccer vs. Minnesota State University, Mankato, Morstad Field. Free admission.