Viking Days FAQs
Find answers here to frequently asked questions concerning Viking Days 2015.
A. Physical tickets are only needed for the Football game. Football tickets go on sale beginning August 24. For all other Viking Days events, we will have your name on a list at each event you signed up to attend. A program for all the activities during Viking Days, including a campus map, will be available during the weekend. View the schedule for class reunion and social events.
A. Highlights include:
- All Day Gallery Exhibits:
- Honor Guard Coffee Reception: 9 a.m. - 11 a.m., Siverson Lounge, Morrison Commons. Honor Guard alumni are invited to begin the weekend with coffee and conversation with classmates. Honor Guard alumni are graduates from 1965 and earlier.
- Chapel: 10 a.m., Chapel of Reconciliation.
- Honor Guard Luncheon: 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m., Falls Room, Holiday Inn City Center. A festive luncheon for graduates who have celebrated their 50th class reunion, including members of the Class of 1965 (celebrating their 50th reunion this fall). Registration is now closed.
- In Memoriam: 2 p.m. Class of 1965 gathers in the Chapel of Reconciliation to remember departed classmates.
- Campus Tours: An afternoon tour begins at 3 p.m. at the Commons Concourse, Morrison Commons. Meet us at the Viking Days information table in the Commons for a group tour with a current Augustana student.
- Rendezvous presentation: Students present on their home countries at 3 p.m. on Fridays in the Back Alley. Hosted by the International Program Office and Augustana International Club, this event is free and open to the public.
- 50th Reunion Social Hour and Banquet (1965): 5:30 p.m. Social/6 p.m. Dinner, Falls Room, Holiday Inn City Center. Enjoy dinner, conversation and entertainment while you reminisce with your classmates. Registration is now closed.
- Athletic Hall of Fame Banquet: 6 p.m. Social Hour; 7 p.m. Dinner, Starlite Room, Holiday Inn City Center. Celebrate this year's Athletic Hall of Fame honorees at this annual banquet. Registration is now closed.
- Gallery Reception and Artist's Talk: 7 p.m., Atrium, Center for Visual Arts. Alumna Bridget Beck '00 will talk about her series of playful, large-scale interactive sculptures, which she creates through welding steel and assembling cast-off materials. The exhibition will also include two sculptures that she will create onsite through workshops with Sioux Falls area middle and high school students. Reception begins at 7 p.m. with the artist's talk at 7:30 p.m.
A. The Holiday Inn City Centre is located at 100 W. 8th Street in downtown Sioux Falls. Room reservations are available by calling 605.339.2000.
A. Highlights include:
- Langskip 5K: Race begins at 9 a.m. on the Augustana campus, starting at 29th Street and Summit Avenue. Proceeds benefit Augiethon (formerly Augustana Dance Marathon), Sanford Children's Hospital and Children's Miracle Network. Registration is $25.
- Viking Days Pancake Feed: 9:30 a.m., Commons Drive and Grange Avenue. Come to the parade ready to eat pancakes and see faculty members (our guest pancake flippers!) from the Performing and Visual Arts departments. This is a fundraiser to benefit the PVA. Tickets will be available at the event; $7/$5 for kids.
- Homecoming Parade: 10:30 a.m., University Drive (formerly 28th St.) to 33rd Street on Grange Avenue.
- To accommodate the parade, no parking will be allowed on the parade route effective 6 a.m. until the end of the parade.
- 28th St. (University Drive) — From Prairie Ave. to Grange Ave.
- Grange Ave. — From 26th St. to 33rd St.
Any questions, contact Campus Safety at 605.274.4014.
- Visit Heritage Park: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. Heritage Park is a collection of historic Great Plains buildings dating from the late 19th to early 20th century. Its facilities will be open for visitation and tours during Viking Days. Stop by Heritage Park, located on the south side of the Augustana campus, on your way to the Football Game. Here you will see the Rolvaag Writing Cabin, the Berdahl/Rolvaag House, Eggers Country School and Beaver Creek Lutheran Church. Admission is free.
- Augustana Soccer vs. Concordia-St. Paul: 11 a.m. at Morstad Field. Cheer on the Viking women as they continue their success from last season.
- Alumni Band Reunion/Pep Band Rehearsal: 11 a.m. Lillehaug Band Room. Band alumni are invited to participate in the pep band under the direction of Dr. Paul Schilf, during the Vikings football game.
- Viking Days Tailgate and Viking Village: 11:30 a.m. outside Kirkeby-Over Stadium. Bring your family for lunch and games for the kids before the Vikings kickoff. Tickets will be available at the event.
- 50th Class Reunion Tailgate (1965): 11:30 a.m., Fellows' Presidential Residence, 37th Street and Grange Avenue. The Class of 1965 is invited to a special tailgate lunch at the President's House. Meet your classmates here before heading over to the football game. Event is free; registration is now closed.
- Viking Days Football Game vs. Wayne State: 1 p.m., Kirkeby-Over Stadium. (Tickets go on sale August 24.)
- Alumni Choir Rehearsal: 4:30 p.m., Kresge Recital Hall, Humanities Building. All choir alumni are invited to sing under the direction of Dr. Paul Nesheim, director of The Augustana Choir. Alumni will sing with The Augustana Choir at Viking Days worship on Sunday in the Elmen Center.
- Alumni Achievement Award Dinner: 5:30 p.m., Starlite Room, Holiday Inn City Center. This is a special dinner event to honor our 2015 Alumni Achievement and Horizon Award winners. Registration is now closed.
- Class of 1990 25th Reunion Dinner: 6 p.m., Palisades Room, Holiday Inn City Centre. Registration is now closed.
- The Blast: An All-Augustana Celebration of Viking Days (recognizing the classes ending in 5 and 0): 7 p.m., Falls Room, Holiday Inn City Center. For alumni, faculty/staff, parents and friends recognizing the reunion classes ending in 5 and 0. Registration is now closed.
Q. What events are happening at the Holiday Inn on Saturday night?
A number of Viking Days events are planned for Saturday night at the Holiday Inn City Centre. Doors will open 30 minutes prior to each of the following events:
Class of 1990 25th Reunion Dinner: 6 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 17, Palisades Room, Holiday Inn City Centre
Members of the Class of 1990 are invited to celebrate their 25th Class Reunion at a dinner ahead of the Blast, the all-Augustana celebration. This event will begin at 6 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 17, and will be held in the Palisades Room at the Holiday Inn City Centre. Registration is now closed. Your ticket ticket to this event will also serve as your ticket to the Blast, which begins at 7 p.m.
Alumni Achievement Award Dinner: 5:30 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 17, Starlite Room, Holiday Inn City Centre
Honoring the 2015 Alumni Achievement Award recipients. This event will begin at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 17, and will be held in the Starlite Room of the Holiday Inn City Centre. Registration is now closed.
The Blast: An All-Augustana Celebration of Viking Days: 7 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 17, Holiday Inn City CentreAll alumni, friends and faculty/staff are invited to join us at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 17, for the "Blast," an all-Augustana celebration of Viking Days.
This special event will recognize the reunion classes ending in 5 and 0 and will be held at the Holiday Inn City Centre. Registration is now closed.
A. Blue and gold are always recommended! Seriously though ... business-casual attire would be appropriate.
- Worship: 10:30 a.m. in the Elmen Center. Rev. Dr. Robin Steinke '80, president of Luther Seminary, preaching.
- Brunch: 11:30 a.m., Morrison Commons. If you purchased tickets to brunch when you registered, your name will be on the list at the door. Tickets are also available for purchase at the door.
A. Visit the Augustana Bookstore, located inside Morrison Commons. The Bookstore's hours for the weekend are:
- Friday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Saturday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. in store
Football game — 11:30 a.m. to Halftime
- Sunday: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Q. Is the Blast, the all-Augustana reunion event at the Holiday Inn on Saturday, Oct. 17, just for classes ending in 5 and 0?
A. No, ALL alumni are welcome to attend. The Blast is a celebration of everyone with an Augustana connection – alumni, faculty/staff, parents, and friends. Classes ending in 0 and 5 will be honored as their reunion class photos are taken.
A. For the classes of 1950, 1955, and 1960, reunion photos will be taken at the Honor Guard Luncheon on Friday, Oct. 16.
For the class of 1965, the reunion photo will be taken at the 50th Reunion Banquet on Friday, Oct. 16.
For the classes of 1970-2010, reunion photos will be taken at the Blast on Saturday, Oct. 17.
The approximate times of the pictures are:
- Class of 1970: 7:50 p.m.
- Class of 1975: 8:00 p.m.
- Class of 1980: 8:10 p.m.
- Class of 1985: 8:20 p.m.
- Class of 1990: 8:30 p.m.
- Class of 1995: 8:40 p.m.
- Class of 2000: 8:50 p.m.
- Class of 2005: 9:00 p.m.
- Class of 2010: 9:10 p.m.
A. Some reunion class agents have planned additional gatherings for their individual classes. Information about any of those individual events can be found in your summer class letter or by reaching out to your class agent.
A. Online registration closed on Sunday, Oct. 11.
Q. I don’t want to register. I just want to buy tickets. Where do I buy tickets?
A. Since a physical ticket is not actually produced for any of the events, your registration counts as your ticket for the event. Registration is now closed.
A. We are not producing a Viking Varieties show this year. After much discussion, it was apparent that we needed to take some time to re-imagine the show. There are many ideas at work that will re-shape future Varieties productions, but not in time for Viking Days this fall. Stay tuned!
A. Yes, please print off a registration form and mail it to Augustana Alumni Relations, 2001 S Summit Ave, Sioux Falls, SD 57197. To request a printed registration form be mailed to you, please call 605.274.4404. Registration is now closed.
A. The Blast will include a cash bar and sliders, chips, and assorted parfaits.