Mikkelsen Library Team Provides Region-Wide Leadership
Thursday, September 19, 2013
Next week, more than 400 librarians from 12 states will arrive in Sioux Falls for "The Library: All Travelers Welcome," a conference of the Mountain Plains Library Association in conjunction with the South Dakota and North Dakota Library Associations, set for September 25-27.
Members of Augustana's Mikkelsen Library have played key roles in planning the conference, which will bring together librarians and media specialists from public, school, academic, medical and special libraries from South Dakota, North Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, and Arizona. The event will also feature discussions by Rick Steves, author and public television and radio host, and Dale Hoiberg, Augustana class of 1971, senior vice president and editor-in-chief of Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.
In addition to their contributions to the conference, Steves and Hoiberg will both lead discussions for Augustana events; Steves will discuss "Travel as a Political Act" at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 24, at Our Savior's Lutheran Church, an event presented by the Augustana Library Associates. Hoiberg will discuss "O Brave New World: Encyclopædia Britannica Goes Digital" as part of the Augustana Thought Leader Forum at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, Sept. 26, at CJ Callaway's.
Mikkelsen Library team members have worked for months to help plan and organize the Tri-Conference, an event that takes place once a decade, including:
- Ronelle Thompson, director of the Mikkelsen Library, who serves as chair of the Tri-Conference Local Arrangements Committee and also serves as chair of the executive committee of the South Dakota Library Network, the policy governing organization for statewide library services, including public libraries and college and university libraries. She is past president of the South Dakota Library Association and past president of the Mountain Plains Library Association.
- Jan Brue Enright, Mikkelsen Library's circulation and reference librarian, who currently serves as president of the South Dakota Library Association and also serves on the Tri-Conference Local Arrangements Committee. In her role at the Mikkelsen Library, she serves as the department liaison for Art and Archaeology, Communications and Theatre, English, History, Journalism, Modern Foreign Languages, Philosophy and Religion.
- Kay Christensen, Mikkelsen's cataloger/government documents librarian, who is a past president of the South Dakota Library Association and past chair of the Academic/Health/Special section of the Association. In 2012, she was named South Dakota Library Association’s Librarian of the Year. She is the department liaison for Business, Accounting, Computer Science and Mathematics.
- Deb Hagemeier, assistant director of the Mikkelsen Library, who is supporting the Tri-Conference by coordinating the special off-site dessert reception at the Washington Pavilion Visual Arts Center, following the Awards banquet. In her role at the Mikkelsen Library, Hagemeier serves as the department liaison for Biology, Chemistry, HPER and Athletic Training and Physics.
- Judith Howard, media librarian and department liaison for Education, Music and Nursing, and Lisa Brunick, reference librarian and department liaison for Economics, Government/International Affairs, Psychology and Sociology, who are managing the technical and audio/visual needs of speakers and participants at the conference.