Strategic Plan: Viking Bold
Viking Bold, the strategic plan designed to lead Augustana through 2030.
Guiding the Augustana student experience is the university's commitment to the liberal arts, Christian faith, excellence, service and community. These are our shared core values.
For 160 years, Augustana has been providing students an education of enduring worth and preparing leaders and visionaries who impact and influence every aspect of society.
As the world continues to change, the need for Augustana graduates — cultivated to be servant leaders — is more important than ever before. As we attract new members into our university community, our core values nurture and guide them.
Augustana graduates begin their next journeys by living these values in service to a greater, common good. Augustana instills a sense of calling and purpose in their lives and encourages all of us to be lifelong learners, to explore and to lead, and to always live these values boldly.
Our Bold Future
As a liberal arts university that bears witness to the transformational power of education, Augustana over the next decade will:
- develop and deliver new and bold academic offerings to more students,
- enhance intercultural awareness and understanding,
- amplify excellence through the arts and athletics,
- and adapt its physical campus and IT infrastructure to inspire and support generations of Augustana students to come.
"Freed by God's grace, we study, worship and discern our callings to work and family, community and world as we boldly serve God's yearning for peace on earth, good will to all." — Paul Rohde, former campus pastor
Our Strategic Goals
Guided by Vision 2030 as approved by the Augustana Board of Trustees, the university strives to enhance its position as a top-ranked regional university in service to our students and to elevate the university’s national profile in service to our alumni, the city of Sioux Falls, and the Upper Great Plains region.
Augustana University has, in collaboration with key stakeholders, identified the following goals that may take place over one or multiple phases:
- Phase 1: 2019 – 2022
- Phase 2: 2023 – 2026
- Phase 3: 2027 – 2030
These goals accompany our enduring commitments that elevate the student experience, our stewardship of human and financial resources, and effective engagement with the university.
- Establish new academic structures and centers that sustain excellence, facilitate growth, and cultivate innovative and impactful teaching, learning, and research in order to provide an education of enduring worth.
- Establish new academic programs grounded in the liberal arts that challenge the intellect while responding to the needs and interests of students. These programs will grow enrollment, diversify revenue and address workforce priorities of the local community and region.
- Enroll 3,000+ undergraduate and graduate students and provide a welcoming and inclusive environment as different backgrounds, experiences and ways of thinking encourage learning, acceptance and service.
- Make an Augustana education more affordable and accessible for more students with innovative scholarship partnerships among alumni and regional organizations while adapting the university business model and operations to ensure financial sustainability.
- Recruit and retain exceptional student-athletes to maintain academic and athletic excellence and enhance their collegiate experience through academic and wellness support, community engagement, and service opportunities.
- Transition to NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics to provide student-athletes the opportunity to compete at a higher level, elevate the profile of the university, and inspire Sioux Falls to enthusiastically embrace Augustana University as the hometown team by serving the community and integrating our mission with its needs.
- Transform the physical campus to include new and enhanced facilities that serve the educational, spiritual and holistic needs of Augustana’s students, faculty, staff, and inspire others in the community who utilize our campus.
- Transform Augustana into a dynamic digital campus through emerging technologies, excellent connectivity, and best practices in cybersecurity that serve student learning, enable innovative teaching and research, and support the university’s business processes and overall mission.