Hands-on Learning and Internships
Countless opportunities. One place to start.
Whatever your major, you will find experiential learning at Augustana. The Student Success Center is a central office to connect you with hands-on experience. You do not need to look far to apply your learning. Students have the opportunity to gain experience both on campus and through off-campus experiences.
- Students routinely collaborate with their professors on faculty-mentored research. In fact, many leave with publications and presentations, especially at our Arthur Olsen Student Research Symposium.
- Relevant campus employment can be found at our IT Help Desk, Campus Learning Center, Recreation Services, Residence Life or other administrative offices.
- With 100+ campus activities, there are abundant opportunities that permit students to refine their leadership, communication and collaboration skills. Choose from student government, clubs, honor societies, the fine arts, athletics or campus ministries.
- Students also apply theory to practice through simulated case competitions, such as the PRSSA Bateman Case Study Competition and the CFA Institute Research Challenge.
- Finally, your professors will incorporate applied learning into the curriculum. Hands-on experience permeates your entire plan of study and is not limited to only internships. For example, business students complete 20 hours of project-based work at a local organization in Principles of Marketing (BSAD 310). Education students gain immediate access to the school district and are paired with a student for mentoring in Foundations of Education (EDUC 110), while exercise science students provide ongoing consultation to a client to help him or her achieve wellness goals in Exercise Leadership (EXSC 450). Speak with professors in your major or browse their online information to learn more about the discipline-specific opportunities within your academic program.
Off-campus opportunities exist to gain experience, build your network and confirm your career goals.
Located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Augustana benefits from a robust labor market that readily provides meaningful off-campus experiences. In fact, Sioux Falls has been recognized by reputable organizations such as Career Builder and Forbes as one of the top small metro areas for careers and best cities to find a job. Learn more about our award-winning city.
Several Fortune 500 companies, including Wells Fargo and Citi, provide opportunities in finance, while students interested in healthcare may choose from five hospitals. Learn more about patient contact experiences. With nearly 40 schools throughout the city, students interested in education will gain exposure to the classroom early and often. Innovative organizations also engage students in the technology and manufacturing field. Our staff intentionally reach out to these organizations, and they are very interested in the talent at Augustana, which is one reason we post thousands of employment opportunities per year – from employers across the nation and globe.
- Career Exploration and Shadowing
- Volunteer and Community Service
- Part-time Employment
- Study Abroad and Off-campus Programs
- Undergraduate Research and Artistic Creation
Learn more about funding available to support experiential learning.