Accepted and Deposited Student Checklist
Congratulations on your acceptance to Augustana University! Use the following checklist to help you prepare for your journey to the United States and your education at Augustana.
- Submit Your Enrollment Deposit
You have decided to attend Augustana! Please submit a non-refundable $525 international student enrollment deposit (refundable if your visa is denied). Your enrollment deposit reserves your spot at Augustana and allows the University to send you additional information regarding housing, course registration and many other important steps in the enrollment process. This deposit pays for your Housing damage deposit ($100) and the International Student Orientation Fee ($425) which includes the Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore Excursion, Minneapolis/Mall of America excursion and our other excursions.
You may pay your deposit one of four ways:
- Obtain a Student Visa
Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate in your country for specific information on applying for a F-1 student visa. You will need to have your I-20 visa document from Augustana to complete this step. You will also need to pay a SEVIS Fee. For general information about the student visa application process, please visit the U.S. State Department website. If you have additional questions about obtaining a student visa, please feel free to ask your AU admission counselor.
- Submit Course Registration Forms
- If you are a First Year Student (Degree-Seeking): Pre-Register for your First Year Seminar (FYS). The information provided on this form will assist the Registrar’s Office assigning your FYS along with other first-year courses recommended for your major/s. You will review and approve your FYS and other courses with an academic advisor during international student orientation. View the tentative list of courses offered for the next term.
- If you are a Transfer Student (Degree-Seeking): Augustana will evaluate your courses and credits from your previous university/college. Once this process is completed, the Registrar’s Office will register you for your first semester courses. You will review and approve your courses with an academic advisor during the international student orientation registration session. View the tentative list of courses offered for the next term.
- If you are an Exchange Student (earning a degree at your home university): Exchange students have the flexibility to choose courses that meet their home school requirements, as long as you have had adequate academic preparation for the course material. Please select courses that will be or have been approved by your home university and send the list of courses to Augustana. The Registrar’s Office will register you for your courses. View and select your courses from the tentative list of courses offered for the next term. You will review and approve your courses with an academic advisor during the international student orientation registration session.
- Important Registration Note: International students who plan to graduate from Augustana with a bachelor's degree should review the general course catalog for major requirements and Sophia (the general education requirements that you will need to graduate, along with major/minor requirements). For all students: twelve to sixteen Augustana credit hours (equivalent to 24-32 ECTS credits) per semester is considered "full-time" at Augustana. This means students usually take four or five classes each semester with each course providing 3-4 credits each.
- Complete the Friendship Family Program Questionnaire
Augustana offers a friendship family program for international students. While nearly all students live on campus at Augustana (and not with friendship families), having a local family can introduce you to American culture, activities, and family life away from campus. Please visit our Friendship Family page for more information. If you are interested, please fill out a Friendship Family Student Application.
- Login to your Augustana Portal (my.augie.edu) and Email Account
You will receive login credentials (username and password) to your Augustana Portal (my.augie.edu) and Email account. Please login to your account and change your password immediately. Once you have logged into your Portal (my.augie) account, please complete the housing and roommate preference form. If you have problems logging into your account, please contact the IT Help Desk.
- Complete your Housing and Roommate Preference Form
Augustana's Housing Office will send you an email to your new @ole.augie.edu email account with information regarding your housing options. The email will contain a link to a housing application form. Please complete your housing application at your earliest convenience. If you have questions about the online application, please contact the Housing Office.
Reminder: Your $525 enrollment deposit includes a $100 housing damage deposit. At the end of each school year your room will be inspected for damage. If the room is not damaged, you will receive a refund after your final semester in college-owned housing.
- Submit Required Health and Immunization Forms
Complete the required health forms including the history of required immunizations prior to the start of classes at Augustana. Find the form in the my.augie.edu portal under your tasks in the home screen when you first login. International students are required to provide proof of immunizations for:Augustana recommends several other immunizations listed on the health forms. International students may send the health forms to the college by email, regular mail or upon arrival. We recommend that you obtain required vaccinations in your home country where they may be less expensive. You can arrange for the following vaccinations on campus after you arrive for the approximate costs below:
- Two doses of MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella),
- and proof of a Tuberculosis test. (See form above for more information.)
- (Students participating in our Fall semester Nursing exchange program must complete the Nursing Exchange immunization form before being allowed to participate in clinicals.)
- TB Skin Test — $20.00 - $40.00
- MMR — $70.00 - $90.00 (per shot, two doses needed)
- Meningitis — $150.00 - $170.00
- Submit Medical Health Insurance Waiver Form if Requesting an Exemption
International students are required to have medical health insurance in the United States. Students will automatically be billed for and enrolled in a medical health insurance plan recommended by the university unless proof of sufficient medical coverage is provided through another insurance provider or through your home-country’s medical insurance plan. Students who have their own insurance from another source are required to complete and submit the International Student Insurance Plan Waiver form.
- Confirm Your Food/Meal Plan
The friendly food service staff at Augustana provides a wide variety of healthy options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Students are automatically enrolled in an "unlimited" meal plan. Students may eat as much and as many times as they like during the Dining Service's regular hours.
- Notify Augustana of your Arrival Dates
Fall Semester 2019 - Please plan to arrive in Sioux Falls on Sunday, August 18. Fall Semester International Student Orientation will begin on Monday, August 19.
Submit your flight information online or forward your itinerary to the IPO and we will arrange your pick up from the Sioux Falls airport (FSD). We look forward to greeting you when you arrive!
Important Immigration/Visa/Arrival Information: Your F-1 student visa allows you to arrive 30 days prior to the start of your program date. Your official immigration program date is located on your I-20. DO NOT ARRIVE MORE THAN 30 DAYS PRIOR TO THE START DATE INDICATED ON YOUR I-20. You may be denied entry to the United States if you arrive more than 30 days prior to your start date on your I-20. Your EARLIST ADMISSION DATE is listed on your I-20 under Program of Study information.
Important Arrival Information: students are welcome to arrive in the Sioux Falls prior to the recommended arrival date, however on-campus student accommodations will not be available until Monday, Aug. 20th. View a list of hotels in Sioux Falls that offer discounts to Augustana students and their families arriving early.
Important Airline information: Direct flight arrangements to Sioux Falls, South Dakota can be made through the following large U.S. cities: Atlanta, Minneapolis, Chicago, Dallas, and Denver. Additional direct non-daily flights on discount airlines are available to Las Vegas, Orlando, Phoenix, and St. Petersburg. The Sioux Falls Regional Airport (FSD) is served by Delta, United, American, Frontier and Allegiant airlines.
- Notify AU About Parents Traveling to Augustana So We Can Welcome Parents!
Though we recognize that not all parents have the ability to travel with their student to Sioux Falls, we welcome those parents and close relatives who can join us for a short period of time before orientation begins. In this case, we recommend parents arrive Sunday, August 18, 2019. Parents are welcome through the first day of orientation, Monday, August 19 and Tuesday, August 20, 2019, but we will ask you to say farewell to your parents Tuesday evening. All new students depart for the Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore on our Fall orientation excursion and will be away from Sioux Falls on Wednesday, August 21 through Friday, August 23. Due to housing constraints on campus, we cannot offer parents a place to stay in our dorms. Several hotels in Sioux Falls offer a discount to families connected to Augustana. Please contact us with your parents' arrival and departure information once they have booked flights.
- International Student Orientation
Orientation begins on Monday, August 19 for Fall 2019 Semester. International student orientation will include campus tours, city tours, assistance with setting up a bank account and mobile phone service, as well as information regarding immigration, campus employment, academics at Augustana, housing, and much more. Every new student is met at the airport and welcomed by an ACE Ambassador. ACE, which stands for Augustana Cultural Exchange, is made up of a group of returning American and International students committed to helping you settle into your new home and to make new friends!
- Review Important Dates
Be sure to review our list of important dates including school holidays and the Registrar's academic calendar for the coming school year.
- Make Payments to Augustana University
Augustana's business office generally expects payment to be made in full at least 15 days prior to the start of classes each semester. Visit your student portal account for balance information. In some cases, a payment plan may be arranged. Please contact Sharon in the Business Office at email@example.com to discuss this option. Augustana accepts most major credit cards as well as international wire transfer payments and a new payment solution called Flywire (www.augustanasd.flywire.com). Please indicate your full name and student ID number in the notes area of your payment transaction. As soon as payments are processed, your Course and Fee Statement on your portal will be updated automatically.
- Like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!
We have active Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages where you can begin to mix and mingle and make new friends with your Augustana classmates.
- Learn More about Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls is a great college town that offers many opportunities to students. Check out all of the entertainment, shopping, and events the city has to offer you!
- Pack your bags
Packing for school can be a challenge, whether you are traveling five kilometers or 10,000 miles. Creating a pre-departure checklist is essential. We recommend that students subscribe to the philosophy of "less is more," meaning that you should pack lightly. Sioux Falls, with a metropolitan population of more than 270,000, is home to a wide array of retail and thrift stores. You will be able to find anything you need once you arrive. ACE Ambassadors and IPO staff will provide transportation for your initial shopping needs. Please use this packing list for suggestions on what to bring with you. Please also remember to pack your I-20 documents and passport for immigration, final transcripts, health forms and immunization records.
- Students who are under 18-years-old
If you are under the age of 18, we want to make sure that we can assist you if you need healthcare while in the United States. Please have a parent complete and sign this form and keep it with your documents. You can also scan it and email it to us in advance and we will keep it on file.
- Ready, Set, Go! Welcome!
Set your alarm clock for your departure date. Eat a good breakfast. Brush your teeth. Say final farewells to friends and family. Depart for the airport early. Deal with the security line. Wave to your family and friends one more time. Hop on an airplane for more than a few hours. Contact our Campus Safety office (open 24 hours) if you have any travel delays or issues at +1.605.274.4014. And just like that ... you arrive in Sioux Falls (airport code FSD). Look for your ACE ambassador as you exit the security area — they will have an Augustana sign with your name on it. You are among friends. Ready to explore a new part of the world! Welcome to Augustana University. The adventure begins.