Augustana Band Festival
Welcome to the 56th Annual Augustana Band Festival!
November 15 & 16, 2013
We are delighted to welcome area band directors and their students to a tradition of excellence at Augustana, the Augustana Band Festival! This festival, now in its 56th year, has brought thousands of students from a five-state area to participate in two full days of ensemble and clinic work featuring three separate bands — Gold, Blue, and Honor led by outstanding music educators/directors. Participating students are nominated by their high school directors, and the festival is organized and carried out by an Augustana committee of outstanding student musicians. The 2013 chair is Ms. Danielle Pemberton, a senior Music Major from Rapid City, S.D. She is assisted by Ms. Amanda Marohl, a junior from Benson, MN
MORE BREAKING NEWS! (10/16/2013)
Please note the following Very Important Information for your participation in Band Fest:
1. The Final "Director's Letter" with updated information.
3. Payment of Fees - note, Due NOVEMBER 5, 2013!
BREAKING NEWS! (10/13/2013)
The rosters have now been completed for the 2013 Augustana Band Festival.Please review the DIRECTOR'S INF
The rosters have now been completed for the 2013 Augustana Band Festival.
Please review the DIRECTOR'S INFORMATION LETTER.
Here is the roster of the BLUE BAND.
Here is the roster of the GOLD BAND.
Here is the roster of the HONOR BAND.
Meet our Festival Directors
In addition to the leadership of the Honor Band by Dr. Paul Schilf, director of The Augustana Band, our guest festival directors this year are well-known educators to this area who have amassed more than 70 years in work with high-school band programs.
We are excited to have Bob and Bob with us!
Selections to be performed during the Band Fest
GOLD Band — Directed by Bob Goheen
- Carnegie Anthems — William Owen — FJH
- West Highland Sojourn — Robert Sheldon - Barnhouse
- When The Stars Begin To Fall —- Fred J. Allen — TRN
- Georgia Girl — Karl King — Ludwig
BLUE Band — Directed by Bob Carlson
- West Side Story — arr. Sweeney
- Star Above, Shine Brightly — Balmages
- Amparito Roca — Fagan
- Towards A New Horizon — Reineke
- Wedding Dance — arr. Fabrizio
HONOR Band — Directed by Dr. Paul Schilf
- Walden — Markowski
- Flat Out and Wide Open — Barry Kopetz
- Rhapsodic Celebration — Robert Sheldon
- CompleX 2030 — Ralph Ford
The Grand Finale Concert of the festival will be held in the Mary Sommervold Hall of the Washington Pavilion in Sioux Falls. This event will feature the Gold and Blue Bands, each comprised of approximately 100-110 select high school musicans from the five-state area. The Honor Band also is featured, and is composed of approximately 75 students who have been highly ranked by their directors as students ready to be challenged with more advanced music.
A Special Note to Band Directors:
We invite your participation to help us make this the most memorable Band Fest on record by taking the following steps in securing participation for you and your students:
- Please read this "Director's Letter" carefully for specific information on how to nominate students, reserve your place in the festival, and make your time in Sioux Falls even more beneficial for your students.
- Complete the "Director's Information Form."
- Complete the "Nomination Form" — one per student, please.
- If you wish, nominate students for the "Honor Band."
- Complete the "Information Form."