The Federal TEACH (Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education) Grant program makes funding available to students who are committed to teaching in high-need fields or in low-income schools.
Augustana College has designated the following majors as TEACH grant eligible:
- Biology major with Secondary Education
- Chemistry major with Secondary Education
- French major with Secondary Education
- German major with Secondary Education
- Math major with Secondary Education
- Music Education*
- Physics major with Secondary Education
- Spanish major with Secondary Education
- Special Education **
*Teaching commitment must be performed in a state with music listed as a shortage area
**May be paired with Elementary Education; however, teaching commitment must be done in the area of Special Education
The TEACH grant provides grants of up to $4000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families in areas designated as high-need.
Criteria to be eligible for the TEACH Grant:
- Major in one of the areas listed above
- Complete a FAFSA
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Score above the 75th percentile on a college admissions test or maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25
- Sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve each year the grant is received
- Complete TEACH grant counseling each year the grant is received
- Must teach for 4 years within 8 years of Graduation or the grant is turned into a loan with interest due back to the day the grant was disbursed!
If you have graduated or are no longer planning on teaching you are required to complete EXIT Counseling
Grant recipients must confirm to the Department of Education with in 120 days of completing or otherwise ceasing enrollment in the program that they are employed as a full-time teacher in accordance with the terms of the service agreement, or they are not yet employed as a full-time teacher but intend to meet the terms and conditions. Failure to do this will result in your grant changing to a loan.
If you receive a TEACH Grant but do not complete the required teaching service, you will be required to repay the grants as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, with interest charged from the date of each TEACH Grant disbursement.
To keep current with your TEACH Grant while in school and after graducation visit www.myfedloan.org/teach.
For more information please contact the Financial Aid Office at 605.274.5216.