Campus Safety Alerts and Notices
Augustana University is committed to maintaining a safe and secure environment for all to learn, live and work. We also understand that the campus community is a dynamic place, so everyone must play a role in maintaining that safety.
We also understand that communication with the campus community is vital to keeping everyone informed and involved.
The information found in this section will include specific information regarding incidents on campus that may require action from the campus community. The action will generally involve everyone staying alert for a person or a situation that may arise and a request to notify Campus Safety immediately if the person or situation is observed.
Please contact the Department of Campus Safety at 605.274.4014 if you have any questions or concerns.
CAMPUS SAFETY NOTICE - Phone Scams - Monday, 09/26/17
The FBI is warning college students of a recent phone scam.
In our region, college students in Iowa and Nebraska have received calls from a number that is spoofing a real FBI Office phone #. The person identifies themself as an FBI Agent and demands repayment for a student loan or other school related expense. The person may threaten to come arrest the student or notify the school.
The caller often knows the students name and may have other information about the student.
- Do not provide personal or financial information to a caller you do not know - scammers will try all kinds of ways to get you to provide information - be careful when talking to someone on the phone.
- If you receive a call that is suspicious but believe it may be legitimate, hang up and look up a phone number to call them back. Do not call back on a phone number they provide you.
- If you have any suspicions about a caller, contact the Department of Campus Safety before doing anything. We can help you determine if the call is legitimate.
- If you receive a suspicious call, document the time and the number the call is coming from. If possible, record the voice or save any recorded voice messages.
- Scammers are always looking for new ways to get your informatoin and ultimately your money. If you receive a call or other attempt to get your information or money, please contact the Department of Campus Safety so this new method can be shared with others as soon as possible to prevent others from becoming victims of the scam.
- Protect your personal and financial information. Verify any source either on-line or via phone before providing any information.
Please contact the Department of Campus Safety if you have any questions or concerns at 605.274.4014
TIMELY WARNING – SEXUAL ASSAULT - Tuesday, 09/05/17
Timely Warning messages are part of Augustana University’s commitment to provide campus-area crime information in compliance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act commonly known as the Clery Act.
Suspect is known to the victim
Male, white, 21 years old, 5’7”, 140#, brown shaved hair, hazel eyes
On Tuesday, Sept 5th, a female student reported she was sexually assaulted by a male who she knew in her on-campus residence. The male is not affiliated with Augustana and does not live in the area.
The Augustana University Department of Campus Safety and Sioux Falls Police Department are investigating the incident.
Please follow these precautionary tips to ensure your safety and the safety of others on campus:
- Do not prop doors to residence halls.
- Do not allow people to follow you into a residence hall. Everyone who needs access has key card access. Be sure you know who is coming into your building with you.
- If you see something or someone suspicious, contact Campus Safety immediately at 605.274.4014.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel unsafe or uneasy about a situation, get to a safe place and call for help.
- Use the buddy system and watch out for each other.
REPORTING AN ASSAULT
Augustana University urges anyone who believes he or she has been the victim of a crime, or has witnessed a crime, to contact the Department of Campus Safety or local law enforcement. The Department of Campus Safety phone number is 605.274.4014.
Sexual assault is a violation of the law and our community standards. As a community, we stand ready to support all victims. In addition to law enforcement or campus safety, sexual assault may also be reported to the Dean of Students or the Title IX Coordinator at 605.274.4124. Additional information is available at the University’s Title IX website.
Victims of any form of sexual harassment, which includes sexual assault, are encourage to seek confidential assistance from the Augustana University Violence Prevention Coordinator at 605.274.4341. Additional university and community resources are listed on the Violence Prevention website.
Notice of Combined Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report Availability
Augustana University is committed to assisting all members of the Augustana community in providing for their own safety and security. View the Annual Security and Fire Safety compliance document.
If you would like to receive the combined Annual Security and Fire Safety Report that contains this information, you can stop by the Department of Campus Safety Office at 2112 S. Grange Ave., Morrison Commons, Sioux Falls, SD 57197 — or you can request that a copy be mailed to you by calling 605.274.4014.
The website and booklet contain information regarding campus security and personal safety included topics such as: crime prevention, fire safety, Campus Safety officer authority, crime reporting policies, disciplinary procedures and other matters of importance related to security and safety on campus. The document also contains information about crime statistics for the three previous calender years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Augustana University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.
This information is required by law and is provided by the Augustana University Department of Campus Safety.