As a residential college, Augustana has always affirmed the value of living in community and, therefore, requires full-time students to live in college-owned housing through the end of the third year. The Residence Life Office uses your high school graduation date, not your academic classification based upon credits earned, to determine your classification in relation to the three-year residency requirement.
In summary, if you graduated from high school in 2012, 2013, or 2014, you are required to live in college-owned housing for the 2014-2015 academic year. For more information, please see our Residency Requirement.
If you have interest in exploring off-campus living next year, please read the information provided below in its entirety before submitting your application. In particular, please note the following:
- Do not sign a lease with a landlord unless you have received off-campus approval from the Residence Life Office. A lease is considered binding and few landlords are inclined to release you from a legal obligation. Also, understand that unless approved to live off-campus, you will also be assigned to and billed for the cost of a room in a residence hall.
- In recent years, a limited number of third year students were approved to live off-campus. Last year, 33 off-campus waivers were granted. Each year, the number of students approved to live off-campus is determined by an analysis of students who will live in college housing, including seniors (fourth and fifth year students). When the demand for housing results in limited campus housing options, and/or extenuating circumstance justify living elsewhere, then exceptions are made. We strive to make these decisions as early in the spring semester as possible. For the coming 2014-2015 academic year, we will not be using the random drawing (lottery) as used in the past. Instead, off-campus requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
How to Apply
2. Criteria for Approval - Students who meet the following criteria will be automatically approved upon review:
- Married Students - Students who are married are not required to live in college-owned housing.
- Students with Children - Students who have parent or guardian status for a dependent child are not required to live in college-owned housing.
- Part-Time Students - Students who are enrolled part-time are not required to live in college-owned housing.
- Commuting from a Parent's or Guardian's Home - Students who will be living with a parent or guardian within the local area will be approved to live off-campus and commute from home.
Students who do not meet the criteria above but believe their personal circumstances justify an exemption (waiver) from the residency requirement will have an opportunity to share justification for their request on the Off-Campus Housing Request Form. Please note that we may request additional documentation, such as a note from a health care professional in support of this request.
3. Decision and Notification - Once your request has been reviewed and a decision made, you will be notified via your Ole e-mail account. Until you received that confirmation e-mail, your status is still pending.
- All requests will be reviewed by a team of Financial Aid, Business Office, and Residence Life staff.
- Off-Campus approval may have implications for your financial aid package. If you are approved to live off-campus OR choose not to enroll in The Unlimited meal plan, your Augustana Gift Assistance will be pro-rated at 90% (80% for both). Please contact the Financial Aid Office for information specific to your aid package.
- Once you have been approved to live off-campus, you do not need to apply again for subsequent years. Your approval is good for the remainder of your enrollment at Augustana. Please contact Residence Life if you are interested in moving back on-campus.
- Remember, if you are approved to move off-campus, please be sure to cancel any spaces you are holding in college-owned housing by June 1, 2014 in order to avoid incurring the cancelation fee of $400 and the forfeiture of your $100 housing deposit.