Support Staff Positions
We continue to evaluate our current situation as it relates to the uncertainty surrounding the coronavirus pandemic. Because of this disruption, we must make adjustments to all hiring processes at Augustana. As a result, we have put a temporary hold on some of the positions listed. We will pause for 30 days upon which we will re-evaluate and determine if the process will be delayed further. We will continue to accept application materials during this time and keep you informed on the status as the weeks unfold. Thank you. (June 1st, 2020)
Support staff are employees of the University who are paid on an hourly basis, eligible for overtime pay, and whose duties are primarily non-managerial in nature.
Augustana welcomes applications for the following Support Staff positions:
Position Type: Part-Time
Department: Campus Safety
Augustana University invites applications for the position of part-time Campus Safety Officer who operates every other weekend, Saturday and Sunday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Read the description below and if this sounds like you, apply today!
The Campus Safety Officer is responsible for ensuring the safety and security of the university’s students.
The duties, competencies, and responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
- Patrol campus in vehicles and on foot in all weather conditions. Secures premises and personnel by patrolling property, monitoring surveillance equipment, inspecting buildings, equipment, and access points
- Monitor and authorize entrance and departure of students, faculty, staff and visitors to guard against illegal or threatening activities, theft and to maintain security of premises
- Observe and detect any criminal activity and/or violations of the University’s rules and regulations, as well as city, state and federal laws
- Conduct investigations of incidents, including interviewing witnesses and collecting evidence
- Complete detailed and accurate reports by recording observations, information, occurrences, surveillance activities, and witness interviews
- Respond to unusual circumstances and secure emergency aid when needed, with moderate discretion for independent judgement
- Prevents loss and damage by reporting irregularities, informing violators of policy and procedures, restraining trespassers and reporting building and facility related issues such as flooding, poor or faulty lighting, trip hazards, etc.
- Communicate with the Sioux Falls Police Department, Sioux Falls Fire Rescue, Paramedics Plus, Metro Communications and other Federal, State, County and local Law Enforcement agencies that provide for public safety in the immediate surrounding areas
- Answer telephone calls to take messages, answer questions, and provide information to community members
- Take emergency and routine calls for service, record the details of the calls, dispatch appropriate security resources (local police, fire, EMS, etc.) and provide details to those responding
- Provide professional and courteous service to University visitors, callers, other agencies, and vendors
Qualifications for this position:
- Must possess a valid South Dakota Driver License or a valid Driver License of another state and can obtain a South Dakota Driver License
- High School Diploma necessary. Prior military, law enforcement or security experience or training preferred, but not required.
- Must be able to become certified in the use of an ASP baton, chemical spray, first responder emergency medical services to include the use of CPR and an AED (Automated External Defibrillator)
- Designated as an “essential employee”, the Officer may be required to remain on duty beyond normal shift and/or be available on a 24-hour basis to report for duty without prior notice due to emergencies or manpower shortages
What can you bring to the table?
- Your strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Your ability to deal politely and courteously with a diverse campus population in a professional manner
- Your ability to react and make appropriate/judgement calls and decisions quickly while remaining calm in dangerous, and high stress situations
- Your ability to observe and recall situations and events
- Your ability to understand and carry out complex oral instructions.
Interacting with students, faculty and leadership with different backgrounds and points of view and a deep appreciation of and respect for academic values and culture must be a top value of the candidate.
Application Procedure: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants should complete an Augustana University employment application, provide a cover letter, statement of diversity, resume and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three references. Application materials are to be sent electronically to: email@example.com. Official website: www.augie.edu.
Department: Campus Learning Center
The Augustana University Campus Learning Center is currently recruiting for Substitute Head Teachers. These positions could occur in classrooms for children 1- to 3-year olds or in classrooms for 3- to 6-year-olds.
The Campus Learning Center is open from 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. A teaching position could be for a five-hour or eight-hour shift, and could be for one day or several days in a row.
A Bachelor's Degree is preferred in Early Childhood, Elementary Education or Special Education.
Application Procedure: Applications will be accepted until qualified candidates are identified. Interested applicants should complete an employment application and send it electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Email submissions are preferred.
2001 S Summit Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57197
Augustana University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Title IX Employer that seeks to recruit, develop and retain a talented and diverse workforce. Augustana University is committed to excellence through diversity and strongly encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community. Submission of official transcripts may be required upon employment. Finalist candidates must satisfactorily complete pre-employment background check.