Intern, Volunteer and Work Abroad
The International Programs Office is a resource for information about interning, volunteering and working abroad either during undergraduate studies at Augustana College or after graduation. Contact the International Programs Office if you would like to make an appointment to discuss any of these opportunities.
Augustana works with several program providers who offer internship programs in a wide variety of countries. These internships are unpaid, and the program provider charges a fee for arranging the internship, housing and other on-site services.
- ISA offers credit-bearing internships in conjunction with their semester and/or year-abroad programs in Belgium, England, Italy and Spain. Internship opportunities typically require a higher GPA than that needed for general admission to the program, and often have additional prerequisites for participation. Speak to your ISA admissions representative for additional details by calling ISA at 1-512-480-8522.
- HECUA programs all contain a credit-bearing internship component. Upon return from a HECUA semester program, students are welcome to apply for paid HECUA summer internship opportunities in the Twin Cities area.
- GlobaLinks Learning Abroad offers custom credit-bearing internships in Australia, New Zealand, China, Hong Kong and Spain (Valencia). Internships are in English so that language proficiency is not an obstacle to a great internship placement in a non-English speaking destination. Credits are issued by Chapman University.
- ProWorld offers social enterprise interships where students gain valuable professional experience interning at nonprofits, NGOs and other organizations for 1 to 6 month long placements. A designated Intern Project Coordinator guides each intern through the planning, execution, and conclusion phases of their program as students develop an understanding of how to organize and sustain mission-driven organizations in the fields of community development, environmental management, health, NGO management, education, journalism and microfinance. Internship lacements are customized to match student skills with a local partner in Belize, Brazil, Ecuador, Ghana, Nepal, Peru, South Africa and Thailand. See the ProWorld website for current program costs.
- The Education Abroad Network offers credit-bearing internships in conjunction with a semester abroad program as well as non-credit bearing stand-alone internships. Programs are available in Australia and China . Contact TEAN at 1.800.585.9658 for more details.
- GoAbroad.com is a search engine that can help you identify other interning abroad opportunities.
- ELAP (Experiential Learning Abroad Program) is a subsidiary of ISA that offers opportunities to contribute to community development abroad through volunteering and service learning. Students can tack on an ELAP component to their ISA semester or year-abroad program, or they can register for an ELAP program separately. ELAP charges fees for their services. Placements are available in the fields of business, health, public policy, social work, education, museums and conservations for periods of 2 to 16 weeks.
- ProWorld offers immersive volunteer experiences that rance from 1 to 26 weeks in length. ProWorld works with you to match your skills, interests, and timeline with the needs of the local community in the fields of community development, education, environment & conservation, health, working with children, construction and women's empowerment. Volunteeer programs are currently available in Belize, Brazil, Ecuador, Ghana, Nepal, Peru, South Africa and Thailand. See the ProWorld website for program fees.
- GoAbroad.com is a search engine that can help students identify other volunteer opportunities abroad.
There are many opportunities to teach abroad. Students do not need to be Education majors to teach abroad. Interested in teaching Spanish to students in Hong Kong or chemistry to students in the United Arab Emirates? Explore the options!
- The University of Northern Iowa offers an Overseas Recuriting Fair every year. This year's fair takes place from February 1-3, 2013. Register to attend by December 3, 2012 and save $40 on the registration fee. Registration deadline is January 11, 2013. Placements are typically for one or two years. Housing is often included.
- Carney Sandoe is a job placement agency that offers international placement services to students interested in teaching abroad upon graduation.
- TeacherPort is a free resource that allows new graduates and recently qualified teachers the opportunity to find teaching positions abroad.
- GoAbroad.com is a search engine that can help sutdents identify teaching opportunities abroad.